« Actor Will Smith to arrive in Twin Cities | Main

The Missing Somali teens suspected of leaving to fight civil war

Friends and family member are speaking out about where several missing Somali teens may have gone to.

The loved ones confirmed Saturday the teenagers left Minneapolis together on Nov. 4. The men were identified as Burhan Hassan, 17, Mohamoud Hassan, 18, and Abdisalam Ali, 19, according to an article on the MyFox9 site.

The three boys and others, collectively known as The Missing, vanished in November and are thought to have returned to their homeland to fight civil war, stated the article.

FOX 9 learned DNA tests confirmed Shirwa Ahmed was one of five suspected suicide bombers who killed himself and 29 others October 29 in northern Somalia. Ahmed was buried December 3 at a Burnsville cemetery, according to the article.

Ahmed was a Minnesotan resident and a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Authorities are calling this one of the first instances in which a U.S. citizen has acted as a suicide bomber, said a U.S. law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The FBI helped to return Ahmed's remains to his family.

U.S. intelligence is investigating whether any of the teenagers who have vanished, at least 20, have attended a terrorist training camp, the article said.

The Abubakar As-Saddique Islamic Center in Minneapolis is under suspicion, according to the article.

However, the mosque is adamant that they did not recruit anyone to fight in Somalia, said an attorney for the mosque.

"They did not fund any trips. They didn't arrange for any meetings with anybody. They didn't encourage anybody to go there," Mahir Sherif, the attorney, said. "They have done nothing."

Family members said Burhan Hassan, the 17-year-old, was a senior at Roosevelt High School; 18-year-old Mohamoud Hassan was studying engineering at the University of Minnesota; and 19-year-old Abdisalam Ali was studying health care at the University of Minnesota.

Only once had each teen contacted his family after disappearing, saying he was either in Somalia or in its capital city of Mogadishu. The teens haven't been heard from since, according to the article.