Uploading your digital story to the blog

There's probably an easier way to do this, but until we figure that out here's what you need to do.

First, go to the CLA Media Mill.  Our class now has an account with them and you should all be entered into their system.

Now click on "Upload Video".  You will be asked to login with your x500 and password.

Once logged in you will get the Upload page.  At the bottom of the page you will see a box that looks like this:

Picture 1.png
Click on the "Choose File" button and this will open up your hard drive and then all you have to do is select the file you want to upload and, yes you guessed it, hit the "Upload File" button.  (If you've uploaded pics or videos to Facebook, the process is pretty much the same.)

Now that your file is uploaded, you will be thrown to the "My Videos" page.  There you will see your movie/file as an "Unprocessed Video," like this (my file is called "large.m4v"):

Picture 2.png

To the far right of the gray bar labelled "large.m4v" (in the pic above) is an icon that looks like a gear.  When you click on the gear icon, it'll open a new page where you can enter the title, a description, copyright info, and, most critically for our purpose, access to the video.  I think, and I may be wrong, that you need to set access to "Public" in order to post it to the blog.  Here's what the box looks like:

Picture 3.png

After you've selected "Public" you can click "Submit Video".  Your project will now be processed and ready for the next step.

If the Media Mill hasn't already taken you to the "My Videos" page, click on the link to the "My Videos" page in the sidebar to the left.

On the "My Videos" page you will now see your project.  Mine looks like this:

Picture 4.png

The next thing you need to do is prepare it so it can be shared on the blog.  To do this click on the icon that looks like a film frame with a "plus" sign on it (a/k/a the "Add Derivative" icon).  This icon opens a page where you convert your project to a "Flash" file (or Quicktime or WMV, but I suggest we all use "Flash" as it is the most common in use on the web).  Select the size you want for your project.  It has a preset button you can choose designed for uThink blogs (like the one we're using for this class).  It'll create a smaller file, but if you want yours to be larger, feel free to select larger.

Once the Flash version of your project you will see that your project has both your main file and a derivative file.  Mine looks like this:

Picture 5.png

The "UThink, Small" box is the Flash version of your project.  To post your project to the blog  you need to click on the "Sample HTML" link and it will give you the code to cut and paste into your blog posting.  On the HTML page there is a box with instructions: COPY ONLY THE CODE BELOW THE BOX!  (Don't copy the box or the instructions, it'll probably screw up your post.)

Once you've copied the code, return to the blog and click on the button to switch the blog entry mode from WYSIWYG mode to HTML mode.  This button is on the toolbar on the far right side and looks like this:

html button.png

After you click on it, the entry you're writing will stop looking normal and have a bunch of code and weird symbols and characters that make sense to your friends in Computer Science but looks like gibberish to most of the rest of us.  When you get this page in HTML mode, paste the code at the end of your entry.  Click preview and see if it works before you Save and publish your entry.

Email me if you have problems and we'll try to figure it out, but give it your best shot!  I'm rooting for you.

This page contains a single entry by Carter Meland published on February 15, 2010 10:44 AM.

Event Horizon was the previous entry in this blog.

Dimestore Headdress is the next entry in this blog.