Week nine

Last week's definition: Leader ship is not only about having the right attitude to lead but it is also about having a vision.
My definition has not changed.

The reason is that this week's readings are in the same rhythm with my previous week 's definition. According to (Barbuto & Wheeler, 2007), characteristics of servant leader include: listening, empathy, healing, awareness, persuasion, conceptualization, foresight, stewardship, growth, and building community. All of these characteristics could be included in the idea of leaders having the right attitude. Leaders should be able to show empathy, listen to what their followers have to say and be aware of what is going on in the organization. Having the right attitude, as I have been discussing it though out the weeks, means leading people to the right direction with the right approach. Which also includes being able to persuade their followers towards a specific goal and help their organization and community grow.

In addition, I found the reading " A social change model of leadership development " very interesting. The metaphor of ensemble music made a lot of sense to me. Just as members of an orchestra would have to work harmoniously to bring forth a performance that is organized, groups of leaders that have the same objective can work together towards achieving the same goals. When responsibilities are shared, it would be easier for the leaders to accomplish their duties. Also, instead of only relying on their expertise, leaders would learn to work with teams that have different verity of skills, abilities, and knowledge.

Work cited
Barbuto, J. E., & Wheeler, D. W. (2007). "Becoming a Servant Leader: Do you have what it takes?"
Retrieved from www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1481/build/g1481.pdf
Astin, H. S., & Astin, A. W. (1996). A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp. 4 - 27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.

Nice thoughts. Well said.

In your original definition, what do you mean by the "right attitude"? This could use some clarification, it seems to me.

Grade: 10 out of 10.
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points

This page contains a single entry by mele0039 published on March 26, 2011 7:24 PM.

Week eight part one was the previous entry in this blog.

week ten is the next entry in this blog.