Presentation day

If anyone wants to get together with me to talk about the presentation or anything else, I'll be in the study area on the 3rd floor of Blegen from about 12:05 to about 1:05 tomorrow, before class.

Posted by ment0027 at 2:38 PM

Hey guys. I've been at work this whole weekend without a computer. The outline looks good. I can do #2 if it's not already taken.

Posted by vang0480 at 12:17 PM

Sue Campbell

I have read most of the article from Naomi, and although some of it is a little bit confusing to me, I have found that it is overall, very interesting. I do think that we should all try to read it and have this article perhaps be our main discussion. Because it sort of touches on some of the different view points of the feminist perspective of recovered memories, it will be helpful for our individual presentations.

Posted by pear0316 at 8:43 AM

More presentation stuff

Okay, it looks like we'll be going with the outline that I suggested, or something close to it. I guess I'll take the introduction, unless someone else wants it.

Becky has suggested to me that #5 on my list (other solutions to the problem) would make a good lead-in to the class discussion. If we go into the presentation without all five group members (which is a possibility, since not everyone has even posted here yet), then we can perhaps all say something about that or simply pose it as an open question to the class.

Also, everyone in the group should have received an email from Naomi. She was kind enough to scan in a chapter from a book by Sue Campbell on the subject of recovered memories. She offers a feminist philosophical perspective on the issue. I haven't finished it yet, but it looks very relevant to what we're talking about. Check it out.

Posted by ment0027 at 9:58 PM

Presentation

I will take the consequences of accepting apparent recovered memories if that is Ok.

Posted by pear0316 at 5:59 PM

Topics

I could take consequences of denying apparent recovered memories. Having two groups present in one session I think will go by quick. We won't have much time to go into great depth. As you suggested Bill, perhaps we could have some provocative questions for the class to think about.

Posted by homm0030 at 4:27 PM

Intro-finally

I apologize for my late entry, I am working against a firewall at work to post. My name is Kristy and if Becky is a "super senior", I am curious to know what I would be! I am graduating in 2006 and I am a psychology major. I started college by attending St. Cloud State in 1996 and transferred to the U of M a few years ago. 10 years for that 4 year degree! I am taking this class because I needed an upper level class outside my major and I took a Philosophy class at SCSU and I enjoyed it. I chose this group because I too found the topic most interesting of those offered. I had a dream last week (I might sell the movie rights) where I was accused of killing someone when I was three years old. Of course, I did not remember killing someone when I was young. The rest of the dream is a blur, but reading the articles in regards to repressed/recovered memory undoubtedly got my unconscious rolling.

Posted by homm0030 at 1:16 PM

Presentations

Just a heads-up for anyone who wasn't in class today: group presentations start next week. There will be two groups going on Monday, and two groups on Wednesday. We'll be one of the Wednesday groups.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, I think we ought to make the presentation simple and straightforward. Everyone presents part of the issue, then we open the floor for discussion. It will have to last about 20 minutes, but that shouldn't be a problem at all as long as we can get some class participation. Basically, our task until then is to divide the issue into parts so that everyone has something to present. I think it would also be helpful if we came up with some questions to ask the class in order to promote discussion.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we might divide up the presentation among the five members of the group? No single section need take much time. We could do something like the following:
1. A summary of the issue.
2. Evidence for and against false memories.
3. Consequences of denying apparent recovered memories.
4. Consequences of accepting apparent recovered memories.
5. Other possible solutions to the problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas about how we could divide up the presentations? Did I leave out anything important? If you guys are all right with how I've done it, feel free to pick a section to present. Also, if anyone can think of any good, provocative questions that we could ask the class, please post those as well.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but I'll be sure to check the blog when I get back on Sunday to see what's been decided.

Posted by ment0027 at 11:48 PM

Case Study based off of Jennifer Freyd's book

I found a book review excerpt, and the book is by Jennifer Freyd. Being that I am not great with figuring out how to include the url to get to this book review, I would like to just tell you how to get there. You want to go to www.lib.umn.edu, and search articles. Next, you find the JSTOR database, and in the search box, write "recovered memories." Click on the first link that shows up on the page. This book review talks about Freyd's idea of "betrayal blindness," which is affected by the strength of the relationship between the victim and the betrayer, or the abuser. Betrayal blindness happens when the "betrayer" was a (trusted friend, parent, sibling, etc.) or, at least someone who happened to be close to the victim beforehand. Freyd believes that "traumas are most likely to be forgotten when a victim feels betrayed by a trusted caregiver." She includes a case study of a man named Ross Cheit, age 36 whose rememberence of childhood abuse occured without therapy. He began to remember slowly, and then became more and more aware. Which would be a case against therapists implementing false memories. It would be interesting to read her book, but what is stated in this book review is also interesting.

Posted by pear0316 at 9:53 PM

Intro

Hello everyone. My name is Naly Vang. I am a fifth year student majoring in Psychology with a minor in philosophy, and will be graduating this May. After taking an Intro to Ethics philosophy course about three years ago I was hooked. I chose this group because anything that has to do with how the mind works is what intrigues me. Thanks Bill for the articles. I'll try to post my findings within the week.

Posted by vang0480 at 1:09 AM