« My Version of an Education Journey | Main | Conveying Ideas »

La Ville

I grew up in small town Wisconsin where the tallest buildings are three stories tall. My mom and I used to drive a half hour to her work and my daycare which was in La Crosse, WI. We had our regular route, but sometimes my mom would take a different route down Cass Street. I loved Cass Street because it was lined with what I called castles. Big, beautiful Victorian style homes with balconies and peaks and vines growing up the sides. Even when I got to high school and was too cool for castles, driving down Cass Street was my favorite thing to do in La Crosse. This was my first love of architecture.

Downtowns of cities have always amazed me. I love arriving to a city and gaping out my window at the huge skyscrapers and buildings. Looking is one thing, but walking through them inspires me. Walking through downtown surrounded by traffic, buses, people, and height. I think I love these aspects because I have always been in obsessed with the city life. I love the movement and the interaction with culture that comes along with a city. Living in Galesville (yes I know you’ve never heard of it) there isn’t a lot of movement and there is definitely a small amount of culture. The most movement you see is semis driving down the main highway that runs through the town. Anyways, enough ranting about my small town life. It has made me want to learn more about the things I didn’t grow up with. Cities are always growing and changing, and the way they adapt to change inspires me.

450px-Downtown_Minneapolis-2005.jpg

I’m not saying that the only inspiration I have is from manmade objects. I mean who doesn’t find beauty in the Rocky Mountains strength or the power of a waterfall. My question is how can building show this same natural strength and power? I want to learn how to incorporate the natural wonders into the wonders I see in downtown and on Cass Street.

First_Creek_waterfall.jpg

My first sense of awe was as a child riding in the back of my mom’s car driving down Cass Street. My current sense of awe is walking through downtown Minneapolis or New York City. The traditional and the modern.