OCD: The Face of Psychological Disorders?

Psych Blog #1.jpg

ADHD, OCD, insanity...between the media and the public, having a psychological disorder seems to be the next most popular fact in a person's life. Comedies and reality programs often take these serious topics and turn them into entertainment for their audiences. In the age where people can easily be influence by the public, it seems that everyone has some abnormal behavior.

Obsessive compulsion disorder (OCD) - the irrational need to do something repetitively - is one of the more popularized psychological disorders, often highlighted in the news and on the screen. One example is the television show, Monk, which chronicles the life of an ex-police detective, Adrian Monk, who has OCD. Although meant to be comical, the show addresses many topics that people with OCD can relate to such as needing everything to be in a specific order or becoming overly fearful of germs.

With all of this attention, does the media spotlight these psychological disorders for all the right or for all the wrong reasons?

I completely agree. I think that in today's society the media, rather than focusing on how to treat individuals with OCD and provide counseling/advice, is emphasizing the humor in the disorder. Anywhere you go you hear someone say, "OCD, much?" or "I swear I have OCD." However, how many people actually have OCD? And can you image how difficult and frustrating your life would be if you actually did?
Bethany Jaqua

I hadn't thought too much about how the media has portrayed psychological disorders until reading this post. And you're right, many of these disorders are used in movies and television series as a comical factor, but the truth is that these are real issues in our society today. It is hard for me to relate because I do not know anyone close who has any type of these disorders. But I am well aware of how misinformed the public is about these topics. Perhaps the social media feels the need to portray a disorder in a comical way to get audiences to really see the core problem, but then again, I am not sure, leading me back to the last question posed in the post above.