Sweet Dreams

0-monarch-of-love.jpg

The internet is filled with personality tests that will tell you who you are based on your favorite color, whether or not you are messy, or if you like dogs or cats. Internet quizzes generally aren't very dependable. However, finding a reliable system is important, since psychologists use personality assessments to predict behavior patterns or to diagnose patients with potential mental disorders. One method is dream analysis; it is a technique that Sigmund Freud believed could show us our deepest desires and feelings. Let's see if we can analyze my personality using one of my recent dreams:

An unidentified person gives a few people and myself necklaces while we are at a school. When they put them on, they turn into dragons and proceed to destroy the school.

Here are some possible explanations from the extremely "scientific" source of dreammoods.com:

Dragon: "To dream that you are a dragon and breathing fire suggests that you are using your anger to get your own way."

Necklace: "To see or wear a necklace in your dream represents unsatisfied desires."

School: "To dream that your childhood school is in ruins suggests that you are dwelling on some unresolved childhood issue."

Conclusion: I'm angry because I have unsatisfied desires about some unresolved childhood issue (Freud would be proud). Wow, I didn't even know I was angry!

Dream analysis is still widely used today, although the specifics are widely debated. The symbolism in dreams (if it can be relied upon) can be different for each person, and each "symbol" may or may not actually be significant to the dreamer's everyday life. Even though the credibility of the process is still dubious, analyzing dreams may still provide some insight into our innermost thoughts.

I think interpreting dreams can be one of the most interesting topics in psychology. I remember we talked about them in one of my classes in high school, one of the oldest dreams that occurs is somebody losing their teeth. It shows that that person is concerned with getting old and dying.