Exercise? How Much?

In order to get their daily exercise, some people may go work out at the gym, get together for a game of basketball, or go outside for a nice long jog. Others might just take a quick stroll around the neighborhood. There are plenty of ways to get out and be active, but how much exercise should we get every day? As college students, a good amount of our day is spent by walking to places such as classes, the library, and the cafeteria. Is this enough for our daily exercise?

In the article, "Getting Exercise in College", it is recommended that we get at least an hour of exercise on most days of the week. I read two more articles, "How Much Should You Exercise?" and "How much should the average adult exercise every day", and both seem to give slightly different insight than the first article. A Mayo Clinic expert suggests a daily goal of 30 minutes of physical activity and a CBS News study proposes 30 minutes to 60 minutes of exercise every day. Why do the three articles differ in their responses?

The recommended amount of physical activity differs because they are speaking as an average. For example, a fit cross country runner might not need as much exercise as someone who is overweight and watches television all day. The first article, "Getting Exercise in College", is centered towards college students which could be the reason more physical activity is suggested than in the other two articles. Since college students have a tendency to gain weight due to the lack of exercise and poor diet, the article stresses the importance of staying active.

usain-bolt-2008-olympic-games-day-12-track-field-0PTpiQ.jpg

Daily exercise is a helpful way to reduce stress, boost confidence, lower blood pressure, lower the risk of diseases, etc. Even just a brisk walk or jog is considered exercise, as long as you get your heart rate moving. So if you have a class on West Bank and walk back and fourth over the Washington Bridge, chances are you already covered your recommended amount of daily activity. All this walking we do in college is beneficial to our health and isn't actually so bad after all.

Here are the links for each of the articles:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/school_jobs/college/exercise.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01713

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/15/health/webmd/main1044716.shtml

I myself exercise frequently being an athlete here at the University, but even if I wasn't I would still choose to work out six to seven days a week. For me it just makes a huge difference in how my day goes. If I exercise I just feel well physically better for one, but also mentally/emotionally great. I have noticed that I am able to focus better and just get more accomplished, but that comes with gettinga a good night of sleep as well. I don't think just exercise alone improves all of the mentioned health benefits, but I do think it plays a big factor in our health. I think we need a healthy diet, time for relaxation, and an overall balance as well to really maintain a healthy lifestyel both physically and mentally.

I think that the gains from exercising outside of just walking to activities on campus is almost a necesity to my daily life. I find that after playing basketball or working out at the rec, the rest of my day, and following day is more productive because of the energy gains and the mental positivity. Besides your body feeling good, after working out you are mentally satusfied with how your day is going because in those couple of hours of exercising, you were improving yourself. I also find that I am more inclined to eat healthier foods and resist junk food. Exercise is also important when it comes to getting a good nights sleep, as it becomes easier to fall asleep, and the quality of rest you get improves.

I agree. I'm not an athletic person but walking back and forth to classes, crossing the Washington bridge 4 times a day really made me feel healthier and it does help me go to sleep better too. Even though walking is not enough I think it is a start for those who doesn't workout as much.

I think that a large reason in why the amount of time a person should exercise differs among sources is because it depends heavily on the person's daily routine and health status. In extreme cases, people can develop disorders from over exercising or the opposite having no exercise and developing other problems. Personally, I think the amount of exercise someone should do depends on the individual and it is important to listen to your body's signals.

I think finding the "exact" make up of a perfect workout would be next to impossible. There are so many variables in human physical condition that the right amount for someone may not work for another. I like how you described the audience the articles are written for as a way to gauge if it applies to you or not. Using basic architectures is better in this case than a broad single number that applies to all people.

What your blog statement fails to mention is the rigor of the daily amount of exercise a person needs to support a healthy lifestyle. Would a brisk walk to and from classes suffice, or would someone need to spend 30 to 60 minutes a day doing intense exercise? In regards to how it improves the rest of your day, I believe psychology plays a huge role.
If you are used to walking around everyday, perhaps you would only experience a minor boost to the decisions you make and the things you do for the rest of the day (as in choosing what to eat and doing necessary homework, etc.). But if you know you're exercising and you feel accomplished about it, it can have much more profound effects on the decisions you make. As someone who takes the time out of his day to spend about 45 minutes a day either lifting weights or jogging, I can tell you that what I choose to eat has changed dramatically and how disciplined I've become at doing homework on time has also changed for the better since I began my exercise schedule about 9 months ago.
So I'm thinking that that "average exercise" time is a load of garbage. If you take the time out of your day to do something that you know is exercise, you should expect to see some benefits.

For me personally, exercise is something that I do not do a lot of. I know how important it is to live a healthy lifestyle and that I should exercise more than I do. When I first began my freshman year of college it was not at the University of Minnesota but instead at Marquette University where everything is very close together and the workout rooms are usually over crowded so exercise there was very scarce. When first arriving at the University of Minnesota the amount of walking I found myself doing was a large change from Marquette University but at the end of each day I found myself feeling a lot better about my body, and to be honest, feeling better about the large meal that I was going to have for dinner. I realize that more exercise is required for a healthier lifestyle I hope to one day lead but getting to this lifestyle is finding a routine that can work at least 3 to 4 times per week. I also am aware that exercise gives your body endorphins which also help boost your mood, so mentally exercise is very beneficial. I hope I can find myself a routine to exercise a decent amount per week, maybe use this routine as a way to relieve stress from my heavy course load of schooling.

I barely exercise anymore because I never get the chance to go to a gym, or even to just workout at home or around the neighborhood. But while at the U, I sure do get to walk all over campus throughout the day. At times it becomes annoying, but I figure it makes for me to not exercising anymore. I know that to live a healthier lifestyle we should exercise and eat right, but that's hard to do when you're a college student (in my opinion).

I don’t have time to sport in a gym this semester, but I walk and go upstairs in the campus. So I think I still do sport every day. Usually, I need to climb 10 stores in total every day. Actually, there is some software on phone about health which can calculate how much exercise we should do every day, and then they will give us personal plan to do sports. They look very convenient and suitable for us; however they also might be trick or just for fun. So, I think we can do some sports every day; moreover, we need enough sleep and to eat health. By the way, I like your topic because it talks about health.

This is a very interesting topic that you have written about especially because today, we can find hundreds of articles, books, and even magazines on this topic alone. And you are right, its hard to really figure out which entries are telling you the right information in terms of how much to do daily. It makes us forget that we are all different people with all different needs that correspond to our body type. But I do agree with one of the above comments, which questions the RIGOR of exercise. Not only that, but even the duration of each exercise session in one day factors in to what the definition of exercise is for each person. If you split up your total of 1 hour of exercise into 2 to 4 increments, what effect does that have? If for one of those sessions you are moving less intensely than the others, would it compensate for particular dietary decisions? So I guess the question is not just HOW much, but how rigorously and often?