Sex, Penis, and Vagina

The title got your attention didn't it? That was the point. This relates to the cocktail effect. The cocktail effect is when you aren't paying attention but are able to pick out words from a conversation going on around you that will grab your attention. When I was in high school my health teacher would say things like sex, penis, and vagina to get the classes attention. It worked every time. Our whole class would not be paying attention and talking to the people next to us and then we would pick out these words and would perk up to see what the teacher was talking about. While my teacher used these words saying someone's name works too.
ist2_4055879_cocktail_party.jpg

It got its name as the cocktail effect because people are able to pick out select words that will grab their attention even while there is a lot of stuff going on. So next time you try grabbing someone's attention try using words that will make the person look to see what's going on.

I find this extremely interesting. It is something that is definitely relevant to high school and college students, such as myself. Students are so easily distracted by more interesting things around them that it is a good idea for a teacher to find a way to hold their attention, or at least gain it back. When I was in high school, my teacher would always single out people if they were talking and I found that it drew my attention back to the teacher as well. I never knew that this had been named as the “cocktail effect” and had actually been researched.

The title definitely got my attention, like you had planned, and once I read further, I also had a teacher in high school that used a similar technique to get students to pay attention. Instead of saying words, he would pound on a desk or make a really loud sound, but it had the same kind of effect. The cocktail effect is something I think everyone has experienced and it is a very common every day way to see psychology play out.

Well played youn1283. I also had a teacher with a similar tactic in class. However, after a year or two in his class I started to notice that some students started to become immune to these stimuli; they started ignoring the cocktail effect. Does anyone else have any insights into this ignorance phenomenon. I have no doubt that it is related to conditioning and learning, but I haven't seen any concrete scientific evidence regarding this. No matter what, it is an interesting and relevant topic, particularly for anyone studying to be a teacher.

This is true, I always stop paying attention and then when I hear certain words that are surprising or that I can connect to, I will start paying attention again. The cocktail effect can be useful because it stops someone's train of thought to make them start paying attention to the relevant conversation. Does it ever become something people can be accustomed to, so they stop responding to these words? Or could you just always think of new words to use so it keeps working? I believe this effect can keep working as long as you think of new and surprising words each time it's used.

This blog really got my attention! Not only this, but the more I read on the more I became interested. The funny thing is I can relate because I used to do the cocktail effect if people were not paying attention me. Not to mention the comic relief of this blog still adds information in an appropriate matter to the subject at hand. This is a great technique to get people's attention, and the fun part about it is that you can be creative with it.

First of all, the title alone caught my attention right away, perfectly demonstrating the effectiveness of the technique. Also, Lamme057, I believe the ignorance developed as a result of a form of conditioning. My belief is the reaction diminished every time the teacher used the words, resulting in extinction of the initial extra attentiveness.

While I agree that the cocktail party effect does work, I think that people are able to train themselves to ignore such comments at times. My main reasoning for this is athletes being able to block out people in the crowd, the bench players, and announcers who say their name quite often. This is similar to some previous comments.

WOO, the title is really attractive.The cocktail effect is really true. Even you join a crowded and noisy party, you can still notice somebody mention your name and you will pay attention to it. People seem become very sensitive to some words.

Damnit Colton, the title forced me to check this out. That's pretty funny that your high school teacher used that to get people's attention, I'm sure it worked. Ill have to try that trick sometime.

This is a really interesting post! I will never try your idea since it's shameful even though I believe it will definitely work great. Anyway, it is pretty unbelievable how your high school teacher caught your attention!