Mariah Carey is my Biological Mother!

Mariah-Carey3_0.jpg

Memory is a placebo, controlled by our personal bias. We unconsciously implement certain aspects of a memory and manipulate it to make it interesting or memorable. Personally, I remember up to the age of twelve, a memory that made Mariah Carey my biological mother. The memory was simple; I was six and my mother and I were driving in a red Honda Civic singing along to a Mariah Carey song. My mother had a slight facial resemblance to Mariah Carey and this combined with the singing prompted me to begin remembering her as Mariah Carey. It was a comfortable haven that made my mother distinct and important to me, despite her abandoning me. My memory was false and my sister corrected it because she was present during that moment in time. We had never owned a red Honda Civic and my mother abandoned me at age four. I had created this memory due to my mother's absence during my childhood. Mariah Carey's presence, vocally, made it seem that my mother was present, even though she wasn't. Memories are expected to be true and genuine and this false memory proves that they are indeed malleable. So, do we create in order to understand? If and when we gain this understanding, do we solidify the memory as true and genuine, thus creating false memories?

2 TrackBacks

celebrities without makeup from celebrities without makeup on November 13, 2012 12:41 AM

Mariah Carey is my Biological Mother! - PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012 Read More

This is an absolute awesome blog! I like how you related this concept of psychology to your own personal life. In addition, I like how you shed some of your own light on the subject in regard to the rhetorical questioning at the end. I took these question to heart, and started to question my own memory. It is a true shame that memories aren't always 100% liable. It is tragic to hear that your mother abandoned you at such a young age. I can relate since I was adopted at the age of 3, I will still never know my biological parents.

This is such an interesting story! It is strange how such vivid memories from our past can indeed be false. Especially things that involve our parents and others close to us. However, having someone to correct our errors for us is very fortunate and prevents us from continuing to make the same mistakes.

This blog was a great use of how we can make false memories. I personally have realized that I have made my own false memories, such as being on a beach that my family never actually went to or doing an activity when I was younger that never actually happened. It's interesting to hear other's stories of false memories because it shows just how common and seemingly real they are.

This is a really interesting example of creating false memories. I still think that it is crazy that people can create false memories and that we believe they are 100% correct when they are actually not real at all.

I think that as human beings we are constantly searching for that nurturing and caring nature from someone else, whether is be a parent early in life or a significant other or spouse later in life. Obviously Mariah Carey was identified as this figure, even though it couldn't be further from the truth. I think it shows how we really need to pay attention to the development of children, it seems they are more susceptible to false memories

It seems like a crazy idea for your brain to come up with, but it actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. What's interesting is that you created an identity for your biological mother. The concept of a bio-mom was important enough to merit such a connection. I wonder if this is instinctual behavior or not.

False memories are applicable at a lot of times throughout most of our days, whether it be our own or someone we're speaking with. Regardless, this was an amazing example. My own perception of why we do this is to make us feel as if our own aspirations/dreams actually did occur. By continually repeating something to ourselves and giving it meaning (semantics), I believe it gets implanted in our long-term memory until otherwise proved wrong.

This is a very good blog post. The personal experience is perfect for the topic. I never thought the false memory was very evident I usually found it to be someone expanding on a view. This experience makes a completely new memory and mother. My experience with false memory is when my brothers asked me if I had a girlfriend when I was in fourth grade I promptly responded yes, they then asked what her name was and I said I wouldn't tell they then asked what her name started with. I told them A but then switched it to E because the girl name is spelled with an E not an A. (the name was Erin not Aaron) My brothers then joked around saying I had two girlfriends but eventually even today they will adamantly say I told them I had two girl friends with the names E and A when that was not the conversation at all. Today they both think I have a false memory and I think they do even though all three of ours are very vivid. We were also so young it would be hard to remember that far back now.

Wow, I loved your story! I think you are absolutely right. Our brain is such a complex structure that I think it wants to remember as much as it can. When you remember bits and pieces of a situation and it doesn't make sense broken apart, your brain naturally fills in the gap with something that could naturally tie the broken memories together. This is such an interesting concept and you used a very good example.

This was a great post. I especially like how you were able to use a real life experience to relate to a topic that we were learning about. I think you are absolutely correct about our brain wanting to create things to understand certain stimuli. I think humans are naturally very curious and information seeking so when we find a gap we automatically think of a way to fill it in.

This story is really funny and I think it is super interesting that you were able to manufacture that memory. I have never done this exact thing myself but I find myself having deja vu all the time which is very similar. I have never been able to figure out why.

This was an amazing post because it really got me thinking about some of the false memories that I have perhaps made in my life. It also got me thinking about how perhaps our memories are shaped by what we choose to believe, no matter if it is the truth or not. As a total example, maybe Mariah Carey IS your mother, and you could have chosen to completely believe this if it weren't for your stronger trust in your sisters words. In my opinion, maybe this is how some people get through lie detectors, because they choose to create a memory in which they know (or don't know) to be the truth. The mind is really a complicated thing.

This is a great post and is so true. I commend you for telling your personal story in order to get the point across because it made the story and blog post so much more relatable and easier to read/understand. You also really caught my attention with the title and picture of Mariah Carey, so naturally I wanted to see what in the world you were going to talk about. I really liked it!

This is a fun story and I once got the similar feeling when I was twelve. I told my older brother that he drove me to downtown when I was about ten but he said he never did this, and my mom confirmed his words. I have no idea why I have such a false memory, and I am wondering whether any environmental factors or biological factors are related to this.

This story is really cool. Its amazing what empty spaces the mind can fill just to create a safe haven for a person. I myself have also experienced false memories and it amazes me everytime when people tell me they didnt happen.