Neurotic Men

madmen9_1775007i.jpg
I was sitting watching the new episode of Mad Men and I wondered where the notorious womanizer Roger Sterling would fall on the Big Five personality inventory:

Roger is an extremely extraverted person, always seen flirting with women and schmoozing clients. As if he couldn't get any more extraverted, he becomes even more so after a few drinks, which tends to be the majority of the time.

Roger is without a doubt an entertainer because in addition to having high extraversion, he has very low conscientiousness. He often times rushes into things, doesn't think through all the details and often refuses to accept responsibility.

Roger is moderate on Openness to Experience. This is apparent through his work habits which consist of show up to work, drink and smoke heavily, hit on women, sleep, and repeat. Roger continues his habits even after being told to quit by his doctor in the wake of two almost fatal heart attacks. However, Roger does go through a divorce and remarriage to a significantly younger spouse, although a new experience probably isn't the primary cause.

Agreeableness is a category Roger is severely lacking in. He tends to be easily angered especially when someone takes shots at his ego and sees things as "my way or the highway" (agree with me or I will fire you). Roger's tends to be emotionally cold, but occasionally has neurotic periods where his mood swings rapidly especially with his quick and eccentric temper.

This was very interesting! It is always fun to see where the characters of a favorite tv show would end up on the Big 5 test. It is also interesting to see if this is where you would have originally predicted they would land without looking closer into it. Good job!

This is a very interesting post I would have never thought of mad men as neurotic. This is a great way to understand of the big five traits. This would be because they writers for the TV program exaggerate the characteristics and traits of the characters. This also can be a little confusing when they throw a curve ball to the audience. This could be an opposite trait or characteristic than the character normally has.

You did a great job applying the Big 5 traits to an everyday example. It is interesting to be able to assess characters in popular television shows now that we are familiar with these characteristics. Like your post, I have found myself analyzing characters in my favorite shows. It gives me a much better understanding of the depths of their personalities. Good post!

This post makes me laugh because I have a friend who attempts to be like Roger and it makes for good laughs daily. The funny situations tend to occur when he tries to approach an introverted girl. It is kind of cool to actually know about it in psych terminology.

This was an interesting post to read and I liked how you examined one particular character. Not to mention, I have never seen an episode of Mad Men, but your post sparks interest in me! Having learned about the Big Five Personality Inventory, I, too, pick apart characters in shows to see where they stand.