Study Skills and Memory

STUDY-SKILLS1.jpg

The concept that I think will definitely be relevant for the next five years is the concept of memory retention. Mastering memory retention skills such as chunking, rehearsal and the use of mnemonics are of utmost importance to me in order to be successful for the rest of college. In chapter seven I learned many different strategies that will help me retain information for tests more effectively. One of the most important strategies is spreading out my studying more rather than cramming. Before I read chapter 7, I thought it was equally effective studying really hard the night before the test and I ignored all of my teachers' advice of studying early and often.

I also thought that the reading on short-term memory was fascinating. It is interesting how some things such as emotional memories are so easy to retain and how it can be seemingly impossible to remember factual information for a test. It is also surprising how it's possible to plant ideas into other people's minds and how the brain automatically fills in blank spots in certain memories. Some people can be lead to believe things that never happened just like the girl who after a talk with a superstitious summer camp leader falsely accused her own father of sexually abusing her when it had never actually happened.

I had been using chunking, rehearsal, and mnemonics to study for most of my school career without even knowing psychology had terms for that. The technique I seem to have trouble with is spreading out studying, as opposed to cramming. It makes perfect sense why it's a more effective method, I've just always been too much of a procrastinator to do it that way. Maybe now that I know it's been scientifically proven I won't have an excuse not to try it anymore.