What Does Your Personality Say About You?

Throughout the semester, my favorite topic was personality. Learning about the "Big Five" personality traits was really interesting. It really surprised me how accurate a simple personality test was at describing my personality. I was placed in the "scholars" group during discussion, which was low in extraversion and high in conscientiousness. The description of this personality type was quiet, reserved, hard-working, and well-organized. I would use all of those words to describe myself. When I applied the "Big Five" personality characteristics to my friends and family, it was interesting to see the differences between them.

big5traits.png

Another reason this topic was my favorite is that I learned that personality is something we can't really change about ourselves; it's a part of who we are. Personality can justify why people are a certain way and can help predict the actions of others based on their personality. For example, my sister is high in extraversion and low in conscientiousness. Based on her personality, I wouldn't expect her to sit quietly at a family gathering; I would predict that she would be highly social and outgoing. Learning about different personality types can be a very useful tool in life and can help in understanding other people.

I thought this was really interesting as well. I think that the circumstances surrounding us when we took the personality tests may have changed the outcome to a degree, but I agree with you in that our basic personality is pretty unchanging.

I find it very interesting that personality is unchanging for the most part. Immediately I thought of how people always say when you move away or go off to college that you can reinvent yourself and be whoever you want to be. If what our psych books say is true, we will more than likely inevitably be the same version of ourselves no matter where we go.

It is intriguing that personality is relatively unchangeable over time so it makes me feel like my personality is "stuck" the way it is forever. I know there were length constraints, but I think it would have be interesting if you brought in the nature nurture debate.

Unsurprisingly, like half of the posts I've read have chosen personality as their favorite topic. I think the reason why it's so fascinating is that we spend a good part of our lives trying to figure out how other people 'work'. With psychology, we can't 100% explain or predict behavior, but we can come pretty darn close.

Personality is one of my favorite topics from this course. I took the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory in the Fall and again this semester for my writing class, and I was surprised to find out that I was low on extroversion... I have always been outgoing and often find myself doing all the talking, but as I have come to the U, I have noticed a change in myself. Making the big transition had a great impact on me and evidently has made me more quiet. I am still my same self when I'm surrounded by my friends from high school, but when it comes to meeting to friends for the first couple times I'm not so comfortable.

^ I find your experience with the effect of the transition from high school to college on extroversion to be interesting as I have had the exact opposite experience. I was much quieter in high school, but now I am more outgoing. Although I do agree that I am still the same person and my personality hasn't changed much.

Personality was one of my personal favorites for this semester because it's always relatable. Each of us can really connect to some aspect of it and bring it back to how it personally affects us lately. Like said above with the transition to college, I found myself having the opposite where I became more outgoing in response to the need to meet new people.

I really liked this chapter too, I wondered about why they didn't talk about "strengths". The U places so much importance on them, but if they're not valid and reliable enough for the authors should they really be such a big part of orientation?