Why you don't want to marry a "Mr. Darcy".

Mr Darcy.jpg

Off all the classic literature that is available, most of the population has come into contact with Pride and Prejudice. It could have been through the book, the BBC's six hour long television special with Colin Firth or the most recent re-make starring Kiera Knightley and Matthew McFadyen. Either way, ladies left and right, (me included at times) swoon over the character of Mr. Darcy. Is it because he's rich? A good big brother? Or is it because we all secretly want the "Hate turns into love" relationship? Well, if we took Mr. D from a psychological standpoint, I think many of us ladies (or gentlemen) would be having second thoughts. So let's test the big 5 out shall we? First, Mr. Darcy isn't very open to new things. He hates dancing and finds people kind of boring. So minus points in the openness category. However, Mr. D is very conscientious because of his amazing self discipline and the fact that he acts how society would have him act, which is the first reason he gives on why he shouldn't get involved with Elizabeth. He's not very extroverted and he's not very agreeable either. In fact, many of the other characters in the book talk about how they can't stand him because he comes across as mean. But he isn't very neurotic. He keeps control of his emotions very well (especially where his sister is concerned) and if we didn't know any better, we would probably think he is devoid of all emotion. So let me recap, if you like a guy who hates new things, hates socializing, will eagerly do what he's told, isn't trapped in a glass case of emotion and takes a while to warm up to, then Mr. Darcy is still your man. I however, may start looking elsewhere.

I don't think that lacking in some of those qualities makes someone undesirable. So Mr. Darcy doesn't like dancing or new things, some people don't like new things, and that doesn't make them people you'd never want to be with.
He comes off as mean, but you learn that he really isn't, so he's an introvert, but that doesn't make him a bad person.
There is someone out there for everyone, and for some people, Mr. Darcy may be perfect for them, like he is for Elizabeth. Maybe it's that opposites attract, and that's what Elizabeth needed to balance her out, and he needed her to balance him out.
You know? Just because someone isn't the picturesque open, extroverted mate, doesn't mean that they don't have anything to offer.
Having one characteristic over the other doesn't make you better.

I agree with you that having one characteristic over another doesn't make you better and I in no way meant for my post to seem like certain qualities are superior than others. I agree with your points but for the purpose of the post I went with why Mr. D may not be all that fabulous, even though everyone knows he is perfect just the way he is :)

I found this post to be delightful! I am one among many of teenage girls who swoon of Mr. Darcy. Mr. Darcy certainly score low in the categories of extroversion, openness, and agreeableness, but the Big 5 are a spectrum. Just because he scores low in some categories doesn't mean that he is a bad person for Elizabeth, in fact. I think it would be interesting to analyze Elizabeth. She is low in conscientiousness, low in agreeableness (towards Mr. Darcy), and high in neuroticism. So many the argument could be that no one would want to marry Elizabeth because she is prone to a bad temper, doesn't plan things out, and worries a great deal.

This was really interesting to read. I think this is a really good example of using the big 5 traits. I had never thought of Mr. Darcy in this way, and I think you did a good job of incorporating psychology into a popular known story. Well done!

I love this post, and I think I may have to show this to my friend who is absolutely obsessed with Pride and Prejudice. When watching the movie, all the girls are pressured to fall for him, but looking back he is not entirely desirable, or maybe just not for most people as far as compatibility goes. Either way, I loved this take on a classic character.