Recently in Assignment 1 Category

blog #1

The most interesting thing to me was the complexity of the brain in terms of the temporal lobe. I did not know that there was a specific function in our brain that had the ability to recognize faces. A defect can lead to the disease of prosopagnosia. The video we watched during lecture amazed me of how the woman could not even recognize her own face. I hope to continue to learn the brain and its function. Also, I look forward to learn about the how memory works.

What I've learned and want to learn

I never took psychology in high school, so this information is all interesting to me. My favorite part so far is learning about the brain and what each part does or controls. It's pretty intriguing, when we learn about the things like information perceived by the eye and sends the information to the brain because while I read about the information I am experiencing what I'm reading at that exact moment. I am really looking forward to social psychology. I want to learn how people's brain works when they have a mental disorder like schizophrenia or even how a personality is created in each individual person.

About Me

The discussion section is a great way to earn easy points by basically going to class and participating in the activities. I have learned more about Psychology from this course and it is quite interesting.

Psych Chris PLumb

Psych so far this year for me has been a lot of fun and very interesting. It has been a lot of work though, especially when it comes to the readings in the books and assignments to go along with them. The stuff we are learning about is very interesting to me, but at the same time it is very hard. One thing I look forward to in this class is learning more about the brain and dreams and other stuff along those lines. I'm nervous it's going to be a big challenge though, and may get overwhelmed. Regardless of whether this happens, I will make sure to work hard and allow myself to stay on top of things in Psych. So far very interesting and I can't wait to dive deeper!

Blog #1

Something that I have found interesting so far in Psych 1001 is learning about how scientific based psychology actually is. People tend to follow their common senses and learning that they sometimes lead us to the wrong conclusions really made me think of how I see things in the world or how wrong I see things. I'm hoping to learn more about how people think and I'm excited to see how we use the technology in the S.T.S.S. building in our discussion groups. I hope from using the technology in our activities it will help me have a hands on idea of the subject.

Behaviorism

Henry Price
Section 8-9
Behaviorism

Behaviorism is a fundamental theory of psychology focusing on the principles of learning. Behaviorism strove to be closer to the "hard" sciences and therefore focused on simply observing behavior. The general principles of learning were used to describe everything an organism does including thinking feeling and behavior. Because of this it is sometimes referred to as black box psychology, the mind is ignored and only the inputs and outputs are considered important. The inputs of the box are the aspects outside the organism such as its environment (rewards and punishments); the outputs are observable behavior.
Behaviorism impacted the field of psychology in several ways and is an important part of psychology as a whole. It allowed psychology to become more scientific relying less on objective data. The observations collected were observable by anyone meaning they were more easily repeated and did not require experts as did previous schools of thought. Behaviorism also discovered many aspects of learning and helped explain part of the reasons for behavior.
Conditioning is a major principle of behaviorism; it is used to explain why organisms exhibit patterns of behavior. Organisms are conditioned to perform behaviors by repeating a system of rewards and punishments, handed out by the environment in response to behavior performed by the organism. Relying on this, behaviorists use conditioning to alter behavior in both lab and clinical practices. They used behavioral conditioning to treat mental disorders.
I have used conditioning many times with my golden retriever Lola. I wanted her to express the behavior of jumping up to catch an object held in my hand at height. As this is not something she normally does she would have to be conditioned to do so. Every time she performed the correct action I gave her a reward (a treat or pat on the head), if she failed she got no reward. Soon she performed the task without any reward; she had been conditioned to jump for a held object.
I am still curious about if behaviorism is still a viable explanation for behavior on its own.

Assignment #1: Psych Discussion Section 008

One thing that I have found interesting in this class so far is sensation and perception. It is funny how we perceive things that actually do not turn out to be true. One thing I hope to learn in this class later on is why we think the way that we do.

-Sherene Mostaghimi

Assignment #1 Discussion Section 9

The very first thing that struck me about my first Psychology class was not the lecturers or the topics discussed, but the size. The number of human beings in the room exceeded the number of students and teachers in my K-12 school. My graduating class was a paltry 33 people which is only slightly larger than the number of people in our discussion section, let alone the full lecture. I suppose this is psychologically interesting from a social perspective because the advanced social structures needed to get that many people into the same room to all absorb the information being presented by one person is a fairly organized and complex social construct. Congratulations to the psychology department for being able to pull that off.

Lucky Socks: How to Succeed in College

The correlation-causing fallacy is defined by our textbook as an "error of assuming that because one thing is associated with another; it must cause the other". Before starting psychology 1001 this semester, I definitely fell victim to this fallacy on multiple occasions. Believing that wearing my tie-dyed socks would help me get a better grade on my AP chemistry tests or that cleaning my instrument the night before a performance would make me mess up are just a few examples of the false conclusions I had made when in reality, the two things do not relate at all. Clearly, I am not the first person make bad conclusions based on coincidences. Just google searching "correlation versus causation" will bring up articles about how atmospheric carbon dioxide will cause obesity or how sleeping with the lights on will cause myopia. As humans, we look to draw such conclusions in order to make sense of a complex world and further develop our understanding of life. What we don't realize is that these assumptions actually set us back. We can blame belief perseverance for the fact that we tend to resist changing our views once we believe something to be true. I honestly was astonished to learn about these "third variables" that actually cause the things I, and many others, believe relate to each other. How could I live eighteen years and not notice that it was waking up early, not wearing my tie-dyed socks, that caused better scores on my chemistry tests? I know can look at the world much more objectively, understanding that an infinite amount of variables impact my daily life.

As we continue the semester, I hope to learn more about how humans think. I know this sounds excruciatingly vague but understanding your own thought process as well as that of others is a critical skill in communication, learning and success. I now know that it is imperative to examine new information carefully before accepting them as truths, and to challenge that which we already accept as true. I want to keep learning about the flaws in my logic and what has lead me to inaccurate conclusions. Questioning my own beliefs will allow me to grow as a student as well as an individual.

-Shannen Swier, Section 09

Assignment One_Review & Expectations

The thing that I have found the most interesting so far is the McGurk Effect and things to do with our auditory/oral senses. It was really amazing to learn how much seeing plays a part in everyday language.

For the rest of the semester, I am looking forward to hearing from different professors about their specific interests and the research that has gone into understanding those areas of human development more deeply.

Hope you all had a good weekend!
Misha LaPlante

assignment 1

This class has been very interesting so far, I enjoy learning about new ideas each week. My favorite so far has been sensation and perception and biological psychology. Last weeks lectures were very insightful. I never noticed how the brain can misguide your way of perceiving objects. I learned a lot from the biological presentation. I loved learning how the brain works and all the parts that make it so complex. Im excited to see what we will learn throughout the rest of the semester.

Psych 1001 section 009 Assignment 1

During this semester, one concept I found incredibly captivating was how the nature vs. nurture argument is apart of the constant conflict faced in everyday actions and events. Humans are creatures of habit, yet also unpredictable through individual differences or possible perceptions of various influences. Throughout the rest of this course I would really love to learn more about the ways outside influences and individual differences affect actions and emotional reactions and to what extent. From what I've learned and seen, the way in which a person perceives things constantly collaborates to form a type of character,making judgments and active decisions based on the feeling from a certain stimuli. I think the research being done on such ideas is fascinating and definitely mind- boggling in terms of how most functions have an identifiable location and pattern of behaviour.

Psych 1001 section 009 Assignment 1

Assignment 1

One thing I've really enjoyed learning about so far this semester is sensation and perception. It's extremely interesting to me to learn how our brains process the information that we collect; including why we see what we see, or why something looks one way when really it's another. It has been fun to learn about sensation and perception through the various types of visual demonstrations that we've been looking at. These are good ways to keep learning exciting and interesting! As the semester continues, I hope to learn more about psychology in general, and further my knowledge in the science.

Reflection/Expectations

I found the idea of neurons extremely interesting. I have never enjoyed science, but the process of human thought and action is very intriguing. It is amazing how fast our brain actually works. The book gave an example of getting a coke from a pop machine. The process it takes to do that simple action takes numerous steps. Yet, the brain takes milliseconds to do each step and allows us to quickly and easily finish the action. I go through daily life without even thinking about this, so when I was amazed when I read it. I am really looking forward to learning about different personalities. It is obvious that everyone is different physically. On the other hand, you can't tell the differences in people's personalities by just looking at them. I want to find out what makes people's personalities different, and what makes them alike. One other thing I am looking forward to learning about is emotion. Sometimes it can be easy to tell whether or not a person is happy or sad, but sometimes it is nearly impossible. I want to learn what makes a person feel the emotions they are feeling, and how to tell what another person is feeling.

Psychology 1001 a simple introductory psychology course. I expected this to be a pretty straight forward and relatively boring class. I've been surprised so far at how much material we have covered and how many different angles there are to examine psychology from. I was surprised to learn that psychology has only been a recognized science for about a hundred years. When i was reading through the book and many of the big psychological figures were making breakthroughs in the early 1900's it took me a second to realize how recent that was. Overall in this course i hope to get a good grasp n psychology and maybe be inclined to take another psychology course or something similar. I always am fascinated at how the human mind and body works so this course falls into something that gives me a little insight into both.

Reflections on PSY 1001

So far, I've really liked learning about how our brain can cause us to believe in illusions. I think my favorite part was learning about how selective attention works in the human brain, because it became obvious that it's really easy to miss things that are right in front of us if we're not paying attention. But it was also pretty cool because it was funny to see how easy it is to fool people just by having them focus on one thing like we were talking about in discussion! (like with this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo) I also liked learning about something as simple as crime can run in a family (i.e. the Bogle family) because of various environmental and genetic influences. One thing I'm looking forward to will be how emotion and motivation and personality relates to psychology and us as people. I'm also excited to learn about the mind-body interconnection and how behavior and social learning causes to interact with people.

Assignment #1

Psychology 1001 is definitely the class I was looking forward to the most at the beginning of the year and it has continued to be my favorite! Currently, I want to take a career path that involves Psychology and Psy 1001 has already made me more sure of myself! So far, the most interesting things I have learned are the topics involving sensation and perception. The subjects involving illusions and how the brain reacts to them are the best! It all seems unreal to me. I really hope that this course helps me solidify my career choice and help me learn tons of interesting things!

Assignment 1

The thing I've enjoyed the most in Psychology are the demonstrations to show how easily people can be fooled. For examply, just the other day my discussion section was shown a video of Derren Brown (amazing showman) asking people for directions with a map and then covertly switching with another person with the same map; the people didn't even notice the swap, even if the differences between Derren and the swap were very obvious. It's fascinating to see how those people can be so easily manipulated, and I'm interested in knowing the processes (or interruption of?) in depth behind getting fooled.

Amir Bajramovic

Assignment 1

So far I have enjoyed learning about sensation and perception because I find it really fascinating how the brain works with our sensory system. I took a Psychology class prior to this, but we never went into detail about how our brain interprets all the incoming information, and I think it's interesting to learn how each of our brains has a different perception of reality. I'm looking forward to learning more about memory because it seems like it would be an interesting process.

Assignment 1

Thus far, I found the concepts and ideas explored in the very first chapter of Lilienfeld to be the most interesting. I think it is very important to learn critical thinking skills and to be aware of our misconceptions and biases that may impair our reasoning in research or even everyday life. A specific example of one of these concepts is confirmation bias, which is the tendency we have to seek information that will reinforce our beliefs or predictions and dismiss any information that contradicts them. I fall victim to this bad habit often, especially with the news and current events. To verify a story I may seek news sources that will validate what I believe to be true or want to be true. Or sometimes not even investigate it at all to confirm that I have all the relevant details and information. I believe prevention against confirmation bias is a very important aspect of critical thinking and important to be aware of and keep in mind in any type of evaluation or analysis.

Assignment 1

One thing that I have really enjoyed learning about is sensation and perception. It is very interesting to me how our brain translates what we see and how we perceive it. One thing that I am looking forward to learning about is other mental conditions and why they happen.

Assignment 1

Intro to Psych is a fairly interesting class for me. It is not really my favorite class because I am not really interested in the psychological side of people and how people think. I am taking this class more or less because it is a requirement for me to get into the Sport Management major. The most interesting part of the class so far is the components of scientific thinking. The principles make sense and knowing these principles really helps in learning the rest of the materials and components of psychology.

Assignment #1

Intro to Psych has been both interesting and somewhat boring for me so far. I think that most students came into this class expecting to jump right into the fascinating facts about the human mind and human behavior, like I did, but it turned out to be something else. Studying the very basic yet detailed information about the human brain and all the little strings attached to everyday brain processes is not very appealing to me, so I find it challenging to be motivated to do anything in this class right now. I'm expecting for it to turn around soon and start going on an uphill climb as far as the level of how interesting the things we learn will be in class. Psych lecture is also quite a challenge for me to stay focused in, since there are over 700 other kids in this class. It's really easy to zone out and start focusing on other things that have nothing to do with Psych. But nonetheless, I'm still reading and keeping up with quizzes, taking my own notes as I read and also taking notes in the lectures. Psych discussions are a lot better though, I can ask questions and there's more of a one-on-one dynamic in psych discussion, which I enjoy. I'm just hoping that the chapters will get more interesting as we go along.

Reflection/Expectations of Psy 1001

Psychology is a new subject to me, and so far I've found it to be extremely interesting. I love the science and anatomy behind it, so naturally chapters three and four have been my favorite so far. Learning how specific areas of the brain relate to specific thought patterns or actions fascinates me, and I look forward to expanding my knowledge in this particular area. I am a visual learner, and appreciate the graphs, charts, and illusions this class incorporates. I am grateful for the communication through e-mail from Kate Briggs, and find updates on the class helpful when trying to keep up to pace. I expect to learn the basic concepts of psychology in this course and hope to establish a quality grade.

Assignment 1

So far i have really enjoyed learning about the optical illusions. They have always interested me and its cool learning how our brain tricks us into seeing something else. I have also liked reading about the nature vs. nurture debate. Its interesting to hear both sides of the debate and really think about what factors make up who you are. Im looking forward to reading about the different mental disorders and phobias people have.

Assignment 1

It is very exciting to me to learn about the different parts of the brain and their functions. I really enjoy learning about brain disorders, so it was very interesting to study the connections between a brain disorder or damage and its corresponding brain part. I hope that discussion will supplement the material being taught in lecture and will help me prepare for exams.

Assignment 1

This is my first time taking psychology and honestly the more I read from the textbook, the more interesting it gets. The most interesting topic that really grabbed my attention was Chapter 2 on Research Methods. It was really useful how they used many cases as an example of why using good research methods is necessary. In this course, I just really want to understand more about why people do the things they do and I hope that the discussions and lectures help guide me.

Assignment 1

This course has turned out to be better than I expected! So far in psychology I have really enjoyed illusions and the many ways our mind tricks us into thinking we know what we are seeing. I am excited to learn about dreams and how to interpret them along with how our emotions work.

Assignment 1

My favorite thing about psychology so far is learning about senses and illusions. I've always wondered how our mind gets tricked and it's very interesting. I also enjoyed reading about the ideomotor affect. I remember at my thirteenth birthday party, a girl had this awesome trick. You take a blank piece of paper and fold it in fourths, then draw lines on the folds, then number each box 1, 2, 3, and 4. Acquire a string and something to serve as a weight (we used a washer). Tie the weight to the end of the string and hold the "pendulum" between your index finger and your thumb. The weight should be dangling 1/2 inch from the very center of the paper, where the four boxes meet. Now, holding this string very very still, you think of two of the four numbers repeatedly (1,3. 1,3. 1,3. etc). After a short period of time, you can start to see the pendulum swing from the first number to the second that you are thinking in your head (swings from 1 to 3 for example). It was so cool! And now I'm excited that I know how it works!

I look forward to learning more things about psychology because we are moving so quickly that I am unsure exactly how much psychologists study. I'm also very nervous for this first test because we are moving so quickly. There are so many things to keep track of not to mention all the assignments and extra credit to keep track of on top of that. I just hope I finally get into the swing of things before its too late!

Assignment 1

So far, the concept that has interested me most is the sensation and perception section. I like learning about how our brain perceives the outside world. It is weird thinking about the brain broken up into parts and each part interpreting a different part of our reality. I'm looking forward to learning more about how the human brain works, especially how it stores memory. I am excited about psychology because it relates directly to physiology, which is my intended major. It also relates directly to me as a human being.

Assignment 1

I have really enjoyed learning about optical illusions. They had interested me in the past, and I was very excited when I heard we were talking about it. I am very interested about learning development.

My first look at Psychology

Upon entering PSY 1001 I didn't know what to expect, it has been very different than I thought it would be, but it has also been very enjoyable. My favorite part about class so far has been watching the different optical allusions in small group and in lecture. I especially enjoyed watching the 'Person Swap' youtube video. Some more things that I would like to learn is understanding people's behaviors a bit more. I didn't expect to be doing such scientific looking stuff, and it makes sense that we are, but I'm looking forward to more on just learning about humanistic behaviors, etc.

-Rebecca Rethwisch

Assignment 1

So far I have enjoyed learning about the Scientific method and Scientific thinking. These two concepts may be some of the most important things that I can learn from 1001 because of the nearly endless application that both Scientific thinking and reason have. During the course if this semester I hope to learn about Clinical Psychology and Social Psychology.

Introduction

So far, I have found that this past chapter regarding sensation and perception to be the most interesting. I feel that one of the main reasons for taking interest in Psychology has been my curiosity on how the mind works. I'm continually amazed when discovering the brain's hidden tricks and its shortcuts. I look forward to learning more about the brain and what causes social/mental disorders. With regards to expectations for professors, T.A.'s, etc., I really don't have much to say; I haven't had any issues or difficulties with learning the material, and if I did, I would know how to resolve them through help such as office hours, emails, etc.

Assignment 1

I've really enjoyed learning about how our brain simplifies such a complex world. I never knew before how much our brain filters out or simplifies everything in the world around us. I am very interested in learning about psychological disorders.

Assignment #1

Throughout the first few weeks in Psychology 1001 I have learned various different concepts. So far I have enjoyed learning about the Biological aspect of this course. Also, I like the chapter about sensation and perception. The different illusions such as the moon illusion, Ames room illusion, and the Ponzo illusion are really cool. I am looking forward to learning about how our memory operates and how we think and reason.

Optical Illusions and the Subconscious

For me the most interesting concept we have gone over so far is definitely the information about illusions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that they look really cool, but beyond that, it's super interesting because of the psychological basis for why we misinterpret these images. It's very clever, considering we could be told we are going to look at an optical illusion and our brain can still perceive the image wrong. I think that topics like illusions (the "cooler" or "more interesting" subjects) are the reason most psychology majors chose psychology; how our brains work can be fascinating. I look forward to learning more about how the brain works in general, and specifically the areas we don't know much about (like how present our subconscious is in our thought process).

Assignment #1-Kyle Wong

During the past two weeks of psychology I have learned about a number of very interesting concepts and theories that are applicable to everyday life. One subject that I found specifically interesting was the Nature vs. Nurture debate. The Nature vs. Nurture debate is a concept that focuses on whether a person's personality and psychological habits are based more off biological factors or environmental factors. Over the years enough data has been collected that proves neither nature nor nurture is completely responsible for a person's behavior. I believe that studying this field of research is very important because it will help in many areas of a child's development, such as how to raise a child, whether or not certain environmental factors could help or hurt a child's development and many other related matters. Something that I hope we will learn more about over the semester is brain plasticity and how our brain is able to change and to what extent.

Writing Assignment #1

Going into psychology I thought it would be a breeze having already taken psychology in high school, but so far I have been wrong. Even though it has not been easy I have enjoyed it a lot. The readings are long but engage me more than any other school related reading. The Psychology 1001 book has good real life examples and pictures that make the concepts easily comprehendible. I also have really enjoyed discussion. It has given us an opportunity to relate what we are learning to the real world through projects. Throughout this course I hope to gain more knowledge and maybe even be persuaded to be a psychology major.

Assignment 1

I took a Psychology class in high school and thought that this class would be similar, but I was wrong. This class definitely moves at a faster pace and is more informative than my high school class. Even though it is so fast paced and is slightly hard to keep up with at times, it is still a very interesting class. So far my favorite thing that we have talked about would the different types of illusions. I am looking forward to learning about the different personality theories of people.

Assignment 1

So far, psychology is my favorite class this semester. I really enjoy the readings because they are interactive and the pictures and charts help me as a visual learner. I have always enjoyed psychology courses and what I want from this one is to be able to retain the information I'm learning by applying it to everyday life. I can't wait to learn more about how our brain works and why we do the things that we do. It's odd to think that even the littlest, simplest things have a neurological/psychological explanation.

Psychology Write-up 1

I took psychology in high school, so I expected this class to be somewhat like what I had already taken. I was so wrong though. Not only does this class move faster than my other class, it also goes into more depth of the subjects being covered. I feel that I have learned more in these four weeks than I did for all of my original psychology class. I am very excited to be taking psychology here, even though it has nothing to do with my major. The University of Minnesota's psychology department is so well known that I feel honored to be able to take a course under their teaching. So far my favorite thing that I have learned is all of the different parts of the brain. I love learning about the scientific part of why we think the way we do. It is very interesting to me that each tiny part of the brain has its own specific role in making our body's function. The brain is so amazing because it not only controls our movement, it controls things we do not consciously think about, like breathing, our heartbeat, dreams, etc. I think it is so cool that the brain does this and is extremely small
This year in psychology, I really want to learn more about how emotions get triggered, like why certain music puts us in a particular mood or why random objects can trigger sadness or excitement. I want to see why individual's brains register things like that differently than others. I know all people have different experiences in life, but I also wonder if each person's brain makeup is different. I also want to know exactly which part of the brain registers each emotion. I think it is very interesting when psychologist use the MRI and fMRI scans to see exactly which part of the brain is being used.
I am very excited for the rest of the year in psychology. I know it is going to be a lot of work, but the knowledge gained will be very useful, no matter what my major is.

ASSIGNMENT #1

So far, I have really enjoyed this psychology course. I have taken a course before at MCTC but I have found this class to be more interactive with the students. I love that majority of the things we have learned in lecture and in class, we are given an example for reference which I have found to be extreamly helpful. I am really enjoying learning about sensation and perseption, especially perseption. I find it odd how our perseption of an illusion can be misguided by our brains ability to fill in "what is missing" even though nothing is really there. I am looking forward to learning everything that this class has to offer.

Assignment 1

Assignment 1: Write a blog about what you like in Psychology and about what you are excited to learn / what is to come.

There are a number of things I enjoy about Psychology. Learning how the brain works and all of its systems is very interesting to me. Prior to this class, I learned most of how the brain words, but in Psychology 1001 they go into more detail. The brain is so small in comparison to what is all does! What intrigued me most is how the temporal lobe, which is located at the bottom/ back of the head, is the prime site of hearing, understanding, language, and storing memories of our past. What I look forward to in psychology is chapter 15. Chapter 15 includes mental illness, mood disorders, and suicide. These topics really interest me.

First.

The first weeks of psychology were vey intimidating, i hate class readings and when i found out how much we had to do i got a little nervous, but as time passed i felt way more comfortable. The first two chapters were very intriguing to me. I am mostly about the actually interpretation of psychology, rather then the science and biology behind it, which is why the third chapter was the worst to engage in. Although, the professor who taught biological psychology was one of my favorites thus far. I am mainly excited to see how the first exam goes, and how to learn more skills for studying, since i never really studied in high school. Right now the illusions are an interest of mine because i think that visual perception and mind phenomena are something that will always be a mystery in some cases. I currently have an undecided major, but with how this course is going i may actually end up majoring in psychology.

Assignment 1

In Psychology 1001, I have really enjoyed the optical illusions we have been subjected to. I have always enjoyed learning about why different pictures are illusions and what parts of our brain are used to trick our mind. It is interesting to learn about why and what parts of our brain perceives some pictures differently than they actually are. In this class I hope to learn more about how and why certain people do things. I would enjoy listening to a forensic psychologist lecture a about what he/she does and how they make their conclusions based on evidence from the scene to predict the type of suspect.

Assignment #1

So far, I have enjoyed learning about the research methods. Specifically, I liked the nature vs nurture concept. I also like reading about absurd and incorrect theories

Assignment #1

So far, I have been very intrigued in everything that we have learned so far in Psychology 1001. A lot of it is a repeat from high school but it sure seems to go more in depth. So far in class, something that I liked most was getting to learn more about the brain and our behavior network. I find it very interesting how so many things are connected and there are several processes in which pain has to go through before you may feel it. Even though it takes a split second for all of this to happen. Something that I am most looking forward to learning about in the upcoming chapters would have to be about psychological disorders. I found it very interesting in high school so I am looking forward to getting more in depth with each one and what causes them.

Assignment 1

The thing that I've found most interesting this semester is that there is very little that we can be absolutely sure about in psychology. I was amazed at the difficulty to perform an experiment that will allow the psychologist to obtain reliable data. After thinking about it, I think I may fall into some of the traps of many study participants if I ever chose to be in one. First, I think the Hawthorne Effect would be something I'd exhibit. Knowing I was in an experiment would make me think about why the experiment was being performed, and I feel as though I would try and work to achieve a certain outcome as opposed to acting as I would naturally. Second, I think I may fall into the placebo or nocebo effects in an experiment. If given a pill, I can see myself constantly trying to feel some sort of after effect of it, even if it wasn't there. Overall, not only do I think I'd be a confounding test subject, but I can also see why it's tough to gather truthful data in an experiment.

I hope to become more aware of the way I function as a person by taking this course. I want to learn about why we feel the sensations and emotions that we do, and what are the natural ways for us to react to certain events in our lives. I am very excited and inspired by what I have read in the first few chapters of the book and heard from professors at the lectures. It is my hope that the class shares this enthusiasm too, and that my teacher can be someone I can go to as a resource for help as well as to talk and learn a bit extra about some of the concepts discussed in class.

Assignment one

When hearing about psychology at The U, the first thing said is how much work and reading it is. Although excessive reading can take its toll, I think interesting reading is a wonderful thing. And I also believe that psychology can provide me with some extremely interesting reading and discussion topics. The human brain is so complex and theories about its functioning is ever changing. Psychology is a contemporary study, while it also maintains ideas that arose centuries ago. Many ideas that psychologists have today could be dropped in the future due to them being disproven, while others will continue to thrive. I hope that by this course's end i have a better idea of not only how brains work in general, but of how my brain has grown into what and who I am today. When we are being lectured in class, we aren't learning about some people that did something at some time. When we study psychology, we are studying ourselves, and that is so rad.

Nature vs. Nurture

In psychology 1001, we have covered some very interesting and important topics that effect our mindsets and how we are perceived as individuals. The research finding that I believe is the most interesting is the nature vs. nurture concept described in chapter 3: biological psychology. The nature vs. nurture is a very important finding in psychology and informs the public about how DNA and the world around us can influence the brain's behavior.

Nature vs. nurture is precisely the way our genes and DNA along with our surroundings in the environment can shape the person we are. A big part of it is our genes which play a part in physical aspects such as height, hair color, eye color, skin color and much more. The second part of this finding, the environment, can include multiple things such as the people we live with and how we were raised as a child, friends who one may spend hours a day with, the town or city we lived in as children, the education one has received, or even the social class we belong to such as the high, middle or low class or even whether or not one is living below the poverty line. All these factors contribute to our physical, mental and emotional beings we develop into throughout a lifetime.

This psychological research finding is important since it gives insight into how genes and the environment can influence a person's physical traits, actions, thoughts and behavior. It is able to make connections as to how a person's behavior is related to their genetic makeup along with what kind of environment they are living in. With this concept, a psychologist is able to find whether a person's actions or thoughts are due to their genes, their environment or maybe even a little bit of both.

This psychological finding has related to my personal life as a child and growing up. In the past, I have had to deal with my parents fighting and yelling at each other over their latest argument. Whether it was about money, divorce or affairs, it seemed as though it was a weekly task to fight about something that they had trouble with. It really hurt me to see them yell at each other and especially to see them cry at the end of it. These rough times have definitely had a huge impact on my life growing up because I was never sure if everything was alright, or if my parents were just saying that to make my sister and I feel better. It made me realize that marriage is not perfect and it takes a lot to keep peace and happiness present in any home. The nature of this problem made my emotions run wild. I did not know what to do or say to keep them from fighting. My past had definitely affected the person I am today all because of my genes, but also because of the home and environment I was raised in.

Blog #1

So far in Psych 1001, I have enjoyed learning about the brain. I think neuroscience is pretty interesting and I look forward to learning more about it. I'm also very much looking forward to learning about social psychology. Human interaction is fascinating to me and how we can be socially conditioned and convinced into doing certain things. I am possibly looking into becoming a Psychology major though I am not sure of whether to go down the arts or the sciences path.
One thing that I found really interesting that I learned in my psychology class in high school, was the concept of a "wild child" which also is related to the nature vs. nurture argument. It is truly fascinating to see how a person's environment can so dramatically change they're personality and way of interacting. I'm looking forward to a exciting semester.

Blog #1

So far i have really enjoyed psych 1001, I am a psych major so all of it is very interesting to me! If i had to choose what has been the most interesting for me I would say Biological Psychology, specifically nature vs nurture and gentetics. I think it is so interesting to see how behaviors might be connected to genetics, and thinking about what might cause behaviors in general. My goal career is a behavioral analysist (criminal profiler if you will) for the FBI so anythink with behavior and causes is highly interesting to me!
I hope to learn more about behavioral psychology and disorders as the semester goes on. I truly find the human mind and how it works interesting and amazing, and look forward to learning more about it! For discussion, I am hoping to learn how to move as fast on my computer as I need to because I cant keep up with how fast our leader goes!
~Bailee Meyer

Blog 1

So far this course, I have learned a lot of interesting ideas I never thought of before. One thing I found interesting was the history of psychology. I did not realize how much thoughts and changes went into modern day psychology. I have always been interested in psychology, but I forgot to look into the history of it. I was happy to learn about it the first couple weeks of school.

I know psychology is a complicated science, but I would like to learn about how a person's brain reacts to interaction with other people and what happens to the brain after a dramatic incident or experience.

Assignment 1

I believe one of the most important concepts or debates ever to surface throughout the history of psychology is the nature-nurture debate. The debate is about whether a person's behavior and mental state are influenced by society or their family, the way they are nurtured, or if they are a direct result of their genetics, their nature.

Although recently many scientists in the social sciences field have reached an agreement that both nature and nurture are together relevant and important in shaping a person's psyche, there are still debates out there that one is more relevant than the other, or for some aspects of the psyche, one is completely irrelevant compared to the other.

For example, I found an article while surfing the internet one day about homosexuality and how, at one point, it was thought by the American Psychological Association to be a mental disorder. There were various experiments done by various scientists to figure out if homosexuality was influenced by nature or by nurture. It was clear that scientists believed that homosexuality was either nature or nurture; not both. That article can be found here: http://allpsych.com/journal/homosexuality.html

The nature-nurture debate is directly relevant to me because my younger sister is adopted. I have always been interested to see in which ways she has grown up different from me, and in which ways she is the same. She is of the same ethnic background, and was adopted when she was three, but she is still different from me in various ways such as height, body type, metabolism, and interests. She is the same in ways such as speech style and, to some extent, decision-making.

I guess what I still want to know is why the nature-nurture debate still exists to the extent that it does when it has been proven that both nature and nurture affect everything that shapes the human psyche.

Assignment 1

I think the "neuroplasticity" topic is the most interesting to me. I am in neuroscience 1001 and a lot of things we are talking about in that class relate to this class, such as the functions of different areas of the brain and how they can be rewired to substitute for damaged areas. I really like this subject because it shows how the brain is not completely hardwired like we used to think it was and there is a lot of opportunity for change in the lives of people who are physically impaired. I would really like to learn a lot about the mental disorders and how they occur, and also how they change the makeup biologically of a sufferer of a specific disorder.

The Amazing Plasticity in the Brain

The most interesting part of Psychology so far has been the chapter on Biological Psychology. To think that a small, three pound organ in our head can be so advanced and is able to change and adapt as we develop is truly fascinating. The brain's ability to change and grow as we develop is called plasticity. According to the Lilienfeld textbook, there are four different kinds of plasticity that the brain can undergo. The first is the growth of dendrites and axons. Dendrites and axons both help a neuron function as dendrites receive signals and axons send signals to other neurons. The brain can also form new synapses, which are spaces that allow neurotransmitters to travel between neurons. Thirdly, the brain can get rid of neurons that it no longer needs, a process called pruning. Finally, the brain is able to insulate axons using myelin sheaths, which protect axon's signals.
So plasticity is extremely important because it allows our brains to be sharp and to function at its best. But what fascinates me the most is the brain's ability to change shape and create new connections. I found a video that is a perfect example of plasticity in the brain (found below). Jodi's hemispherectomy was performed in order to remove her entire right hemisphere in the hopes of limiting her seizures. Miraculously, Jodi was able to function with one hemisphere. Because of plasticity, her left hemisphere began making connections to the fluid that had taken the place of her right hemisphere when it was removed. The fact that the brain has the power to repair itself to such a degree at a young age is amazing. However, plasticity is not magical, so it cannot cure diseases such as Alzheimers or Parkinsons. The brain is also not able to heal itself completely after experiencing major head trauma. I can't help but wonder how far plasticity can actually go, and what its boundaries are. Also, if Jodi were an adult at the time of her surgery, how much would the results differ?
Through this class, I hope to gain knowledge that I can apply to my future career in Nursing. Understanding psychology will allow me to assess my patient's needs better, allowing me to be more successful. By the end of this course, I expect to obtain a greater appreciation for psychology, and its effects on human life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSu9HGnlMV0

Nature vs. Nurture, the Mystery

I have found much of the information covered in class very applicable to everyday life and very important to have knowledge of. The one concept that really caught my interest was the Nature vs. Nurture debate. This concept of Psychology has been extensively studied. Nature refers to the traits that are the result of the genes that were passed down to the offspring by the parents. In other word the things that were biologically affected by the genetic material that has been inherited. Nurture refers to the traits that are the result of the environment the subject has been exposed to. In other words, Nurture refers to the traits that have been learned or taught.
The scientists have devoted a large amount of time trying to determine what psychological traits are affected by either Nature or Nurture. Psychologists look at this idea through various studies. One of these studies I have found to be most interesting is the study of Else Schein and Paula Bernstein. This study was of two identical twins separated at birth. (The link below will take you to an article telling the whole story.) They were reunited and found that they had many of the same psychological characteristics as each other.
As I was reading this information about Nature versus Nurture and the story of the identical twins, I became curious in the heritability of many of my traits. I look very similar to my mother that is obviously due to Nature. I have the same humor as my Father. I behave similar in social situations as my Sister and Mother. I take after my Mother through my caring and motherly instincts. All of these characteristics could easily be due to Nature and just as easily be due to Nurture. I would be curious to know if I would be the same person if I were raised in another environment. Is there anyway to find out? Is there really a single cause for certain traits, or are some caused by a combination of Nature and Nature? Will the mystery of Nature versus Nurture ever be solved?

Assignment 1

Psychology so far has been a really fun class. I enjoy going to class and the discussion. One thing I have found really interesting thus far would be learning about the brain. I like learning about how the brain works and seeing how each lobe functions. For the rest of this class, I hope to learn more about what happens when we sleep and why we dream what we dream at night. I find psychology very interesting and I am also considering majoring in it. I expect to go to discussion prepared and if I have any questions or concerns I will be able to share those with my TA. I also expect, that if I somehow get behind in class, my TA will be there to help me catch up.
-Sami

Assignment 1

Psychology has been a great class so far! I enjoy both the discussion and the lecture. The nature vs. nurture debate has always been a topic that I could never decide how I felt about. After talking about it in depth in our discussion last week, I am still quite undecided. I believe a little bit of both factors influence how a child is raised. From this class, I hope to learn how to understand people's nonverbal skills a little bit better. I expect that there will be open communication between the students and the TA to make sure that everyone is on the same page about assignments and any questions that come up in lecture/readings.

Blog Post Number One

So far, I have found chapter 3 of our studies the most interesting. I enjoy studying the brain and the functions of each section of the brain. I also enjoy how these studies directly apply to us and how it relates to biology. I find the correlation between psychology and biology fascinating. During this semester, the most interesting thing I have learned so far is how the different parts of the brain function and how this affects our personal lives.
During this semester, I hope to gain a general overview on psychology as a whole and get exposed to the science. I also hope to learn more about how psychology effects our personal lives. Overall, I expect this class to be an interesting topic and a great learning experience !

Blog Number One

So far, the semester has been pretty interesting. I've probably been most interested by the discussion this week about synapses and how our brain works. To think that our entire consciousness and everything about us can really be broken down into small electrical currents moving through cells is mind-boggling.

The fact that the brain has evolved over millions of years into such a precise and delicate part of our bodies, and that we still don't understand all of what goes on is simply amazing.

Overall I think I'm looking forward to just getting a taste of what psychology is during this semester. I'm not a psychology major, and I don't anticipate taking any more classes in psychology, so the format of this course works well for me. Hopefully by the end of the semester I'll have at least a working knowledge of the subject.

-Will

Assignment 1

So far I'm really enjoying psychology. I added the class late so I missed the first week. I was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of catch up reading that I had to do at first, but than I realized it wasn't too bad. I wasn't very excited about the first two chapters in our book, but once I started reading chapter 3 I found it really interesting. I especially like learning about the different parts of the brain and what they do. It fascinates me.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Assignment 1 category.

Assignment 2 is the next category.