Short Videos for Molecular Biology Education

The following short (<5 minutes) videos are a sampling of teaching materials for molecular biology available online. I compiled this list for a presentation I gave to the U Minn Bioinformatics Journal Club. For those of you who are course instructors, I hope some of these may be useful.

Exploring Our Molecular Selves -- an introduction to molecular biology and the "central dogma" for a lay or introductory audience. From National Human Genome Research Institute.

Biological Clocks tutorial on the period gene in Drosophila and the control of circadian rhythm at the molecular level. Good example of a multi-factor regulatory system. Video is done in five parts, each adding a layer of complexity to the system. From Howard Hughes Medical Institute's BioInteractive web site.

WEHI-TV Molecular Animations -- some of the most complelling animations of biomolecules I've seen. These raw videos have been incorporated into a number of larger media productions. Note: If you use these, you should consider downloading and saving them onto a local disk drive; I've had some trouble running them on the web page within a browser. Well worth the trouble of saving a copy, though.

Here are a few other biology education resources to know about; this list is at least one, probably two, orders of magnitude away from being comprehensive! These are just a few of the first places I look for materials.

ben: BiosciEdNet -- searchable portal site for biology education resources. Managed by AAAS.

Dolan DNA Learning Center -- part of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories. Dolan produces a variety of high-quality online educational materials, as well as workshops and other resources, for molecular biology and genetics.

Shodor Foundation -- suite of both online and "wet lab" educational materials across the sciences and methematics.

Access Excellence -- range of materials, tutorials, graphics, etc. for biology and health education. From National Health Museum.

Posted by Kevin Messner at December 15, 2004 7:49 AM