What do I mean by Molecular Biosciences?

I've been asked why I use the phrase "Molecular Biosciences" on this site. Formally speaking, I'm responsible for collections and communications from the University Libraries to these departments: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics; Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development; Microbiology; Neuroscience; Pharmacology; and Physiology. A simple term that encompasses all those areas is a bit hard to find -- perhaps "basic biomedical sciences," but that doesn't fit some of the industrial biotech or plant and ag folks who occasionally tune in. I realize that "Molecular Biosciences" doesn't apply perfectly to everyone in the above departments, but it distinguishes my focus from our ag, natural history, and ecology-oriented librarians, and most importantly it's short enough to say in one breath.

And no, "Molecular Bioscience" is not an official MeSH term. But then, "polymerase chain reaction" wasn't a MeSH term until 8 years after its invention, and that certainly didn't stop anyone from using it...

Posted by Kevin Messner at December 16, 2005 2:45 PM