Healing Gardens

This University's Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series posted a whole web page online about healing gardens. I think this website relates to this week's readings because it sums up the main points that can be found in Susan Erikson's "Restorative Garden Design" paper.

The goal of a healing garden is to make people feel better. This is why each healing garden needs to tailor to a specific audience because different people feel better in different environments.

For example:
DSC03979.JPG

The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum has a Green Play Yard, which is a "garden" geared towards children of multiple ages. The garden is split between three sections for three age groups and each section entices children to play with nature in a hands on manner. The image I posted is one I took in the pre-school age section. Kintzley's Ghost Honeysuckle is used to create a natural tunnel for the children to run thru. It provides a social place for children to play in while also surrounding them in nature.

Melissa,
Thank you so much for posting this treasure trove of information. I grew up going to to MN Arboretum as a child but I haven't been there in years. I am definitely inspired to go. I'd especially like to see the children's gardens. I'm a single mother of an 11 year old girl, and I'm dating a single father of three boys ages 8,8, and 6. One of the things I've noticed that is most successful for us to do as a group is to be out in nature! The kids love exploring the trails, climbing on rocks(where that's an option) hunting for bugs, etc. It creates a situations where everyone seems happy and relaxed. I remember my mother used to say that about going to the beach- that it was a place for all ages to have fun. I'd love to see an excited kid run through the plant tunnel!
Jean