Introduction to blogging Angela Kariniemi

The Peace of Wild Things
By Berry Wendell

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

I thought that this poem told in such a beautiful way of the peaceful and uplifting effect that nature can have on us when we are weighed down with worries and stress. For me, being out in nature is often a form of meditation. It is a special place to just be, to feel, hear, and experience life around me at that time and I also experience a certain freedom in that. Many of the research articles that we have been presented with have also indicated that nature is an effective way to decrease stress. In over one hundred studies, according to Ulrich (1993), decreased stress was listed as one of the significant benefits of being out in nature (Kahn, 1997).

Wendell Berry, "The Peace of Wild Things." "Poetry Foundation." n.d. Web. 6 February 2013. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171140

What a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing it. When I'm stressed at school I often go to the grassy area between Coffman Union and Northrop and lay in the grass and just let my mind wander as I stare up at the formidable tree branches backlit against the bright sky. It's nice to have such an area on campus but it makes me think it would be great if there could be more emphasis on creating natural places on campus instead of the constant push for newer and bigger buildings.

I don't read a lot of poetry, but I'm glad I read this. Talk about a very uplifting piece of art. Not only is this a great poem, but also could be used as a daily reminder. I think sometimes we get caught up in things and forget to enjoy the simplicities in life...with nature being one of them. This got me thinking about my upcoming trip to Phoenix over Spring Break. I can't wait to be in the sun, and hang by the palm trees! haha
Thanks for sharing!