Post-Occupation Evaluation

http://www.healinglandscapes.org/resources/poe.html

This is a link to the Therapeutic Landscapes Network, which is, in itself, an interesting idea. The part of the website that I focused on was the Post-Occupation Evaluation (POE) done at places that were built using Evidence-Based Design (EBD) in order to ascertain whether or not the place had an impact on the outcomes in mind (e.g. reduce stress in people undergoing treatment for cancer).

This is a little dry for the blog, but I thought it was worth exploring. One interesting story highlighted was the story of Teardrop Park in New York. The park was declared a failure by the Parks and Rec board, however, a POE was done on the space. It turned out that Teardrop Park was embraced by New Yorkers as a place that provided a function for them that positively impacted health outcomes. So, while a "failure" under one evaluation model, under another, that took into account different functions and uses (such as passively viewing the park), the park was a success.

Thinking forward to research questions and ideas, this website made me wonder what other projects have been written off that might have actually been contributing positively to people's health, while not meeting another evaluation end. I am in a Program Evaluation class right now, and I am wondering if questions related to health outcomes impacted by nature could be incorporated into our evaluations of mental health programs. I'm also wondering if I went around my town, if I could find parks and evaluate their success using the POE model that this webpage discusses, and make a solid, evidence-based argument for continuing to support and enhance our park system.

While looking online for information about Therapeutic Landscapes, I also found this website. I really liked all of the resources they provide for people regarding so many different aspects and types of therapeutic landscapes. They also had a section for evidence based design which was very nice. Although this section did have many areas of “…will be added soon, so please check back” there was still quite a bit of information available. I think this website and its resources will be helpful to me in this class, as well as in my life and career.

P.S. to Korbin: they have a section with resources for designing therapeutic landscapes for seniors and people with dementia. If you need some more ideas or some framework to guide you in your consulting for the Alzheimer’s/Dementia home, you may want to check it out!