The Giving Tree

One of my favorite books is "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I enjoyed the simple story and pictures as a child, but only as an adult have I truly appreciated the deeper meaning of the book.

The tree that continues to give to the boy, first her apples and leaves, then her branches, and finally her trunk, is reflective of nature overall. Nature gives and gives and gives and asks for nothing in return. Even when the tree seemingly has nothing left to give, she offers her stump as a resting place for the boy who has taken everything.

We can all learn something from the tree and from nature in general. If everyone tried to give to others the world would be a better place. And for those who do give it's important to realize we can always give a little more. We should be aware of what we take. It's easy to take nature for granted but the growing body of evidence around climate change and nature deficit disorder shows that we forsake the natural world only at our own peril.

The Giving Tree.jpg

I really like your interpretation of "The Giving Tree." I have actually never read the book before, but based on your summary of it I can see why it has so much meaning. It kind of reminds me of "The Lorax." As a child I never really understood the tree meaning of the book, but now that I am older I can see how it relates to reality. People are so busy trying to get further and further in life that they forget about how important nature is until it is all gone. It's similar to what you said about how we take nature for granted.