Eco-Therapy & Eco-Psychology

IMGP4295.jpg
Here is a short (~7min), but interesting interview with Linda Buzzell, co-editor of the book Ecotherapy:Healing with Nature in Mind from Boston radio program Living on Earth. She discusses some of the common issues she has encountered as an ecotherapist, such as ecoanxiety. She also describes what a normal session with an ecotherapist might be like, which was pretty interesting.

090619ecotherapy.mp3

Here is an excerpt from an article from the Utne Reader about ecotherapy, Ecotherapy for the Ecosoul, from Larry Robinson, who was also featured in the book Ecotherapy.

Ecopsychology seeks to address the sources of our cultural madness and to reestablish the lost connection with the more-than-human world. Its intention is to reanimate the world, to restore its soul. To do this we must remember that we are not simply imperfect machines but beings in a world that is alive with mystery.

Ecopsychological therapy--instead of dwelling on the questions What do I need? and How can I get it?--asks What is my place in the world? Rather than deriving machinelike standards for optimal functioning, it asks: What human qualities does a healthy ecosystem require? Sustainability is a key concept, in the sense of both how we, as a species, can live sustainably on the earth, and how we, as individuals, can create sustainable lives and relationships. (Robinson, n.d.)

One more article from the Utne:Ecopsychology: Whole Earth Mental Health

What a great find! Thanks for sharing this. I especially like the idea of a time-log and documenting how much time people spend outside or with other people versus screen time in front of computers, televisions, smart phones, etc...

We are living unnatural lives and I think that exercise would be a simple and effective way to show just how little time we spend interacting with nature and with each other in person.

It might actually be a good addition as a future personal activity for CSPH 5000.