Recently in Care Farming Category

Visual of What We've Read

Here is a video I came across about a specific care farm. I thought it was really cool to have a visual to look at to fully understand what the readings. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it as much as I did.

Care Farming

This is a great little story about children and farming in their community. Their teacher wants to get this project going for them as a way to relax, be outside, grow, learn, and enjoy the fruits of their labors. Its great to see that this kind of thing is happening all over, and for all walks of life. Care Farm.jpg

Care Farm vs. Big Pharm

Care Farms of the Netherlands is a film that tells the story of two different cultures and their treatment of mental health.

Care farming has long been used in European countries to help treat a variety of mental health illnesses in a natural, therapeutic setting. It has grown in popularity with a diverse array of stakeholders including government entities, farmers, healthcare organizations and insurers working together to promote this healing practice.

Despite the positive results and significant cost savings care farming has produced in European countries, the practice has not taken root in the United States. Pharmaceutical care continues to be the treatment of choice for patients suffering from mental health issues in the U.S. despite the enormous cost and myriad side effects seen with these drugs.

The movie trailer to Care Farms of the Netherlands provides a sneak peak into these contrasting worlds and begs the question, why did I never hear of care farming until now?

Care Farms - Video and Organizing Information

This is a video from a National Conference on Care Farming in the UK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP8Vdgu-PxU

And this is the website from the organization, which talks about some of the efforts to fund and organize themselves:
http://www.carefarminguk.org/about-us/achievements-date

I liked these pieces of information because it helped me get a sense of what people do in order to make these projects work. The organizing "achievements to date" page lists things like conferences, studies, and practitioners, all of which should have an effect on increasing the credibility of Care Farming as a therapeutic intervention - which is great! My next questions might be done along the lines of a belief elicitation study, wherein I asked people whom I hoped to serve what their present beliefs about Care Farming are. This would be important to understanding what would compel people to seek Care Farming out as an option, or not seek it out. I would also do a similar study among care providers, like medical personnel. Once I knew where the concept stood, I would have an idea of what we would need to overcome in order to continue to promote this concept. I feel like people who are just offered the opportunity could easily find the idea of care farming attractive - but I would want to isolate motivations even farther, in order to better frame the care farming and better understand what exactly patients are hoping to get out of the experience.

Masanobu Fukuoka

As I was looking for something to post about this week I came across an advocacy website for care farming. I think the website does a good job of putting into laymen's terms what care farming is and what the benefits are. From this website I found Wildgoose Training Centre. Wildgoose Rural Training is actually where the Care Farming Advocacy website is based off of. It surprised me how many programs this organization offers involving care farming. They work with people of all ages and work with everything from social services to schools. I think this would be a good website to visit for those wanting to learn more about what other programs involve care farming.

Also, I found this quote on the first website that I think fits in with our class and this topic well "The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings." -Masanobu Fukuoka. This man is a pioneer for natural farming and if I reviewed the website correctly I believe he is what partially inspired the founders of the program.

Care Farming for Indivdiuals with Disabilites

I wanted to share some information about The Farm in the Dell Foundation. This foundation helps create CSA type farms that are run by individuals who are disabled. The farms provide skill development, meaningful work, society integration, some level of independence, and therapeutic horticulture for the clients who work there. There are multiple farms currently set and running up by the foundation, and I know they are trying to get another started in my area. I've included a video about the organization that does a good job describing what they do from the perspectives of those involved with the farms.

Care Farming Video

Michael Moore goes to Norway

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Care Farming category.

Animal Assisted Interactions is the previous category.

EcoPsychology is the next category.

Subscribe to Blog

Powered by MT-Notifier