Two inspiring reads

During vacation I read two books that truly inspired me as we go into 2013. Two must-reads are: If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit, by Brenda Ueland, and Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life. I have been staring at the blank pages for my thesis for about two years now. Ueland inspired me to pick up the pen again. Note: a pen, as many inventors stress the importance of kinesthetic learning and experience. Sometimes when you are stuck, you just need to doodle. She writes that we all are talented, worthy and have something to say. Her encouraging words to find my true voice were inspiring, especially since it was written in 1938! I then read Tharp's book. Her creative exercises are invigorating, though the egg movement exercise might be a bit too much for me. Creativity can be recognized, cultivated, and encouraged. I personally loved her box approach for developing a piece. She puts every scrap of inspiration, research, and idea into a box; she stresses that memory fails, and that we need objects and ideas collected, and label the box with a few key words/her motto.

These two books found me at just the right time in my life.