Recently in Extension Category

Literature Review 101

Here are some resources from my talk at the Extension Program Conference 2012.

Social Media Citations

There has been a lot of talk lately about the death of citations, or need for revision. I am all for revising the clunky standards for something more flexible that maintains some way to track down the original research. These days research is evolving, and often we might want to cite a tweet or other social media. Here are some guides for citing tweets, Facebook, and blogs:

Twitter
Did you know that there is a form for citing tweets? You may want to use this to list influential tweets in a paper or blog post you are writing. Here are two forms for citations: APA and MLA.

MLA
Last Name, First Name (User Name). "The tweet in its entirety." Date, Time. Tweet.

Example:
To cite this twitter post: https://twitter.com/UMNExt/status/213663805819981825 in MLA, you would cite it like this:
University of MN Extension. "Video on cleaning your home after a flood: youtu.be/Mc8UZHM_1Y4. 15 June 2012, 9:06 a.m. Tweet.

APA
Twitter handle (Author). (Year, Month Day of tweet). Full text of tweet [Twitter post]. Retrieved from [fill in your website here].

Example:
To cite this twitter post: https://twitter.com/UMNExt/status/213663805819981825 in APA, you would cite it like this:
University of MN Extension. (2012, June 15). "Video on cleaning your home after a flood: youtu.be/Mc8UZHM_1Y4 [Twitter post]. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/UMNExt/status/213663805819981825.

Facebook

How to Cite Fan Pages, Group Pages and Profile Information from APA

Blogs
How to Cite Blog Posts from Ann Norby in YD Update.

Extension Center Meetings

This spring I was able to expand my network, by attending Extension Center-specific conferences and meetings: Youth Development, Family Development, and Community Vitality. These conferences were a great way to hear about future directions of various groups, what current research is going on, and chat with staff, not just educators, about how I can help them more. I can't wait for next year and meeting more staff!

On top of that I was awarded a 6 week leave to work on a survey of Extension staff on their information needs and professional development interests. I am very excited to work with some talented folks in Extension to design the survey and make it happen this fall!

Notes: Extension Telling the Story

What does quality mean in the wake of Tiger Woods and Toyota?
Don't talk about quality programs, do quality programs.
Know your audience + Know your benefits as defined by your audience = your future success
Do you know who you is the auditor of your county, the commissioner, etc.? Sadly, I can say I could not.
WIIFM = What's in it for me?
What are some of the unintended consequences from your communications?
Private value- how the person who participates benefits from participating
public value- how other members of the county/community benefit when others participate, but they do not

i.e. I don't have kids and live in the Apple Valley school district. But I believe in the good of public education so I pay my taxes. A public value, not a private value since I don't have kids.

The world does not bleed green like we do...
Washington county went to local businesses and asked how 4H impacts them.. great idea!
It's now about the Cow. It's not about the newsletter or tool. Be sure you know why you need it. If you only have 10 minutes to talk about programming with the commissioners. Maybe you don't need a ppt, maybe you just need to talk to them.

What did you identify that you don't know that you need to know?
(Think about the Libraries and how we can assist with your message.)

Make a list of all the organizations that you can go talk to. Go beyond preaching to the choir. Make sure you have an ask at the end. (support, volunteering, do some sort of closing)

When you ask the idea is to move people to action, to connect with people.

**Extension has AWESOME fact sheets to give to legislators. Minnesota Libraries should adopt something similar for Library Advocacy Day. **

Youth & U Conference Round Table

After a flat tire I made it to the Youth & U Conference midway through the round table discussion. Even though I was late I was able to meet with Extension staff about the Libraries. Everyone was full of great questions and positive comments about the resources they did not even know they had access to.

I look forward to working with everyone over the next year, and don't forget you have a personal librarian!

Youth&UConferenceMarch302009.ppt

Extension Orientation

I was able to attend Extension's New Employee orientation as an attendees yesterday. What a great way to get a solid footing in the lingo and projects. One of the highlights was hearing from EFANS and then getting 3D glasses to look at a 3D map. Pretty cool. I also failed all three listening quizzes- a great exercise I may use with instruction classes to make sure they are listening :)

By far the best part was meeting new employees of Extension. Over lunch I learned about a gentleman up north who's wife assists a single source honey producer & got an invite for a tour when I go up that way for a site visit in the future. Lots of amazing stories regarding the politics of 4H participants at county fairs and also the deep sense of pride families and students have in their projects being shown.

Thanks for Extension for letting me attend, and hopefully we can collaborate in the future to incorporate library services somehow.

Embedding Librarian

Fcros.jpg I just proposed a book chapter for Embedded Librarians: Moving beyond one-shot instruction regarding my work with Extension. In this I will discuss my work with creating custom research guides, tutorials, videos and assisting in the promotion process through webinars. Along with the consultation role I have played with online programs and active learning strategies.

Community Economics Extension Presentation
Below are slides about library resources for locating articles and grey literature for economists. Community Economics Library PresentationView more OpenOffice…
Promotion/Scholarship YD Extension Assistance
Youth Development staff have been keeping me VERY busy the past few weeks. I have received 5 research/literature assistance requests.…
Libraries Scavenger Hunt
Last week I had the opportunity to be invited to participate in Youth Development's professional development online conference. In working…
    follow me on Twitter