Recently in Professional Development Category

Well, I realized how little I was using my ipad to it's full potential. Since I am going to a conference soon I really focused on ipad tips for this week around typing, etc. A few of my ah ha moments are:

• Double-tap the space bar or use 2 fingers to get a period and space to appear

• How do do quotations without wasting time going to the number keyboards? Use the comma key for a single quote, or hold the period key

• Shake your ipad to undo/redo

• Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button at the top right corner of your iPad, and click the Home button for screen shots.

Thanks for the tips! It will make my conference in England much better!

23 Mobile Things: Thing 1 Blogging

Today is the first day of the new multitype library systems program 23 Mobile Things, self-paced learning program that will identify 23 types of apps for you to discover. I loved the first version of their program 23 Thing on a Stick, and learned about a lot of useful tools, and I hope this will be similar.

What I am most excited about this program is to learn about some apps and tips that might help streamline my work a little bit more, and new tools that can help me accomplish some tasks I struggle with. At a quick glance I have a lot of these apps already, however, do I use them? No. This series will help me spend time investigating them and see which ones work best for me, so I can clear out space on my phone and focus on the ones that will help me personally and professionally.

Register today to begin and join me in this journey!

ACRL Conference 2013 Recap

THATCamp
I have never participated in this unconference-like session before. Topics are decided at the beginning of the day, and rotate throughout the day in various corners of the room. I participated in a discussion around Library as Publisher. I had hoped others were working on e-books with faculty, like I am, but it appears not to be the case. We discussed data curation and focused on publishing versus archiving. Participants shared what professional development opportunities they were offering faculty and students, along with the need to change the promotion process.

Building an Instruction Arsenal: Using Standardized Elements to Streamline Class Planning and Ease Student Learning Assessment Across the Curriculum
This was one of my favorite sessions; Kevin and Jessica are brilliant with such a simple idea. Why waste time recreating assessment tools for every IL session? They created processes at their libraries where librarians can draw from a set series of questions and/or learning objects to address different information literacy standards and student learning outcomes. Here is the LibGuide for CSU-Peublo that Kevin created, and I am so stealing some of these questions. It is great timing, as this past winter I already started a long Google Form for my fellow colleagues with questions that they could copy and use for assessments.

One of the most popular sessions I attended was Love your library: Building Goodwill from the Inside Out and the Outside In. It was inspiring to hear all the outreach efforts libraries were doing from crafts, to hotdog carts as mobile libraries, to marketing with custom pins, etc. A small group of us in the University Libraries are already meeting informally to share what we do in each of our libraries to build a more cohesive message.

From research to action: pairing information literacy and service-learning

I have longtime been a blog follower of Maureen Barrey, who was one of the pioneers in this area of embedded librarianship. As much as I would like to do this I just don't have the opportunity in any of my classes.

I also went to the AAAS luncheon with a keynote presentation by Bernard Munos. Even though I am a humanities gal, I am fascinated with open science. Hearing the trends in the pharmaceutical industry was a bit scarey, but also interesting. I am going to read more articles written by Munos and his think tank.

Poster Sessions
I try to see as many poster sessions as possible, as they are often more timely (not needing to submit over a year in advance). This year has numerous great sessions, including:

• Best practices become your own best resource for evaluating accessibility... by Lily Sacharow: great questions to ask around cognition, vision, hearing and speech, physical function

• One of the top designed posters was Training the next generation: the essential role of academic libraries in educating graduate students in research data management

• Once is enough: Using responsive web design to fit any screen

• Visualizing Library Collection Data

• Using the charrette model to collaborate with students and faculty on a library renovation project

Brick and Click 2011

These are just some random personal notes I took at B&C11 this year.

Library as place
Your campus living room
Old dark, cold building
What did our library users want? Surveys and ask
no new funding and fewer staff, did it with our skills
Love the neon Ask ? Sign
Always 2 people on desk
Got rid of walls and put in glass area
Cafe with just drinks not popular, now food and busy
1% of funding for fun stuff : games, movies, graphic novels; ppl learn dif ways
No one working on electronic acquisitions, now do
Tell faculty before you cut journals, resources, allocation formula,faculty decide what % of departmental is journals, books etc.
Program destination on campus, put them on the map with the university, took a position from acquisitions to program coordinator, 122 programs 14,000 people
Authors and artists celebrating faculty and staff, host extravaganza have a band, 10 tables about service and win prizes, free food and pop, 5,000 people between 10-3
future plans: libqual, paint stairwells, expand writing center students to distance students, new books plan, 5 ipads for checkout, presentation rehearsal space
Large chocolate bars with info on it rather than a handout
Mandated that distance students treated the same way

Qr codes
Abeline Christian university - custom Qr code generator to push out info, on displays and catalog
Signs around campus, handouts , online research guides
I like the signs for around campus
Signs for reference with code to digital encyclopedias etc.
Bitly doesn't say where scanning codes, create different codes for different locations
Library walking tour with videos
How to assess Qr code usage? Usefulness?

Have a fail whale for classroom presentations

Library and athletic partnership
My strategy- where's Waldo, be everywhere
Athletes have own tutors, support staff, academic advisers
Office hours, orientations, arrange library game days to support students
Slam: students, libraries, and athletes in motion
Coogs on the go library guide

Speaking to the masses
PowerPoint and screen casting
Captivate allows branch narratives

ALA 2010 Highlights

This past ALA I was busy running around to meetings, so I attended very few presentations. However, I got the most ideas, inspiration and connections through visiting the poster sessions. A few that stood out to me were:

• International Scholars and Information Literacy Skills: Outreach and Instruction by Nikhat J. Ghouse
    I particularly was interested in hearing more about the 4 weeks intensive English immersion research component; more info can be found on her LibGuide.

• We are currently revising an Online Privacy workshop, so I was very interested in Casey Schacher's Privacy: A Year-Long Outreach Campaign poster.
    Their integration across campus through events, posters, videos and workshops was a well thought through campaign.

• Playgarism: Get your game on had the most unique and eye-catching layout. I am definately going to keep tabs on this project! It has a great foundation.
  • Brian Sullivan of Loyola University New Orleans showed me examples of ingographics he created with students during instruction sessions using a few new tools to me: Creately, Gapminder, Google Public Data Explorer, Many Eyes, Prezi, Stat Planet, and Tagxedo. I am definitely going to try this with a class this year!

• Since we hired an Instructional Designer I have been interested in ID. Lauren Olewnik's poster, Deliberate design an instructional face-lift, provided a nice walk through of redesigning a course-integrated instruction session.

In the past I skipped over the posters, but I won't make that mistake again. Looking forward to more great posters in 2012!

The Importance and Relevance of Metadata

Yesterday I attended the Embedded Metadata: An Explanation with Real World Uses workshop remotely, as an Art Libraries Society of North America- Twin Cities partnered event. The workshop was led by Greg Reser, metadata specialist at the University of California, San Diego, and you can find the materials on the website. I am not an art librarian or visual resource professional, however we all are impacted by metedata, or the lack there of. Ever tried to make a mixed CD or playlist for someone and had difficulty finding that song on your computer or in your stack of CDs? Why? Lack of metadata.

For me I run into this more with keeping track of articles downloaded and various Word and PDF documents. Sure, I can name things accurately, but wouldn't it be better if it could have a bunch of labels and descriptors rather than just a file name? Enter products like Adobe Pro, which I am just starting to use and very excited about the ability to embed data within the document. No longer do I have to rely on RefWorks or Zotero to tag items, but I can do it myself.

A few highlights from the workshop for me were:

• On Flickr click on EXIF Data- here is where your data will appear if you embed it within your image!

• Ever lost original images on your computer? Bulkr is a free tool to download metadata from Flickr.

• XnView, Bridge and NikonView all allow you to embed metadata fairly easily for a novice like me!

• Many of the programs will break a name such as Mastel, Kristen into two tags, so to keep them together use quotations. (Hopefully this will improve.)

• I finally know what DiCOM means when my husband uses it! It is the metadata schema that is used in the medical fields.

Look for the recording in the near future. It was very approachable and applicable no matter if you digitize images, work on a digital repository or just have a bunch of stuff you need to organize on your computer.

Active Learning Spaces Conference

I attended the UMN Active Learning Spaces Conference, which was a fantastic gathering of learning spaces designers, faculty, learning technologists and support staff. You can find the resources on the conference website, at: z.umn.edu/alcforum

Here are some take-aways/examples from the sessions:

• Clickrs are best for large lectures or questions that might reveal personal information/ controversial
  • Consider assigning roles for small group discussions: proponent, recorder, skeptic discuss the concept; faculty then rolls dice and the two numbers represent the tables and the proponent from one and the skeptic have to discuss to the whole class
  • envelope with 13 photos, organize into different groups based on your own choosing, name each group; this leads into a discussion on taxonomy
  • Whiteboards: discuss expectations about the course, discuss pro/con iissues with working in groups and create contracts
  • have students use backchn.nl for discussions
  • try real time writing as a group online with google docs and other writing websites
  • Internet is a forum of external memory
  • Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning Pogil http://pogil.org/
  • Move to stripped down textbooks, Univ. of Illinois, students don't read, they google concepts
  • Teaching is the art of changing the brain
  • Prior knowledge- only way you can learn something new is to activate neurocircuts already have

Backward design was a big portion of the conference as well. Don't organize a session based on what you want the students to know, but instead on what you want them to do.

4 S's- assignments sat each stage should be:

• Significant problem- students view problem as authentic/real life
  • Same problem- individuals work on same problem, case, ?
  • Specific choice - individuals should be required to use concepts to make a specific choice
  • Simultaneously report- groups should report their choices simultaneously

ACRL Ramblings
Here are a few notes from the Association for College and Research Libraries in Philadelphia March 30-April 2, 2011. I…
Google Apps Tips & Tricks
Adding an image directly in the body of an e-mail can only happen in Google Crome. At the moment…
MLA Conference Notes
7 Practices of the Inventive Creative: Dream Big: don't stop at idea 1 or 13... keep going Be Open: Try…
    follow me on Twitter