5 Years from Now

Over the course of this semester, there have obviously been a lot of things that I have learned about psychology that I didn't know before. Many of these things I quickly realized are very applicable to real-life situations. I am not going to be majoring in psychology, however taking this course was very stimulating and in my opinion one that is crucial for courses I will take in the future. I have learned to never take anything for what it is. Things such as correlation does not always equal causation, and many of the other scientific principles, are things that I will carry with me through the rest of my college years. It is something which is crucial to the process of critical thinking and analyzing data, information, etc. It is the one thing I will remember because it not only applies to psychology, but to every single other field out there right now. It is something that I believe every student should be aware of, so they don't just take everything as it is. As I learned this semester, analyzing things at a deeper level can provide a very different outcome.

Freud's psychoanalytic theory of personality is a very important theory because it differs from all other personality theories. The psychoanalytic theory is based on three main assumptions: psychic determination, symbolic meaning, and unconscious motivation. Psychic determination is the assumption that all psychological events have a cause. I am a strong believer in that everything happens for a reason, so I think this is a very important part of the concept. There really is a cause for everything that happens even if we don't know it at the time of the event. The second assumption, symbolic meaning, is that no action, no matter how seemingly trivial, is meaningless. This also supports the idea that everything happens for a reason. There really is a connection and deeper meaning to every action or event that happens in a person's life. A lot of people don't take the time to analyze these events, so they don't realize it. The third assumption, unconscious motivation, is that most of the things that we do is done by the unconscious part of our personality. We do not have explanations for a lot of the things that we do and that is because of our unconscious. Freud argued that the unconscious is of a lot greater importance in the causes of our personality than the conscious. I think that everyone can use Freud's psychoanalytic theory in everyday life by using the three assumptions to analyze people's behavior that they don't understand. If someone thinks that some event or action is meaningless, taking the time to analyze the situation could result in a deeper meaning for the reason and better help someone understand. I do wonder how every single action can be a symbol for something, such as brushing one's hair, because there are things that we do that I feel have no deeper meaning, but I will trust Freud on that.

Positive psychology is a field that helps to change people's feelings of being neglected by focusing on their strengths, such as resilience, coping, life satisfaction, love, and happiness. Positive psychology is new to this century and changes the views of contemporary psychology, which doesn't encourage people to accomplish things at their fullest potential. It also helps people to find ways of enhancing positive emotions, like happiness and fulfillment, and building psychologically healthy communities. I think that a lot of positive psychology is a very important concept because everyone has a different potential and by setting one goal for everyone, it puts people on different levels, which can lead to people feeling stressed and discouraged. By encouraging everyone to do their very own best, it causes people to feel more satisfied with themselves and makes people happier. As a competitive cheerleader, every person on my team has different capabilities and at different levels of achievement. When I compare myself to someone who has higher skills than I do, it makes me feel lower about myself. When I set goals for just me to accomplish that are to the best of my ability, I get a great satisfaction when I can accomplish them. By realizing that everyone is at different levels, I can strive to achieve my full potential and get a satisfaction from doing so. I do wonder why some critics believe that this is an unrealistic concept. Their argument is that it robs defensive pessimists of their pessimism and doesn't fully prepare people for negative outcomes. Why wouldn't people want everyone to feel satisfaction about themselves?

Speed-reading consists of a number of reading strategies that attempt to make people read faster, while still being able to interpret and retain the information they are reading. Many people cannot grasp the concept that they are reading unless they read it slow and allow their brain to process it. Who wouldn't want to be able to read at a fast pace and save time, while gaining just as much knowledge as if a person were to read slowly? There are a number of advertisements that promote courses designed to teach people how to speed up their reading rate. Is it possible that a course can really speed up people's reading rates and allow them to fully comprehend what they are reading? It has been proven that reading is subject to a speed-accuracy trade-off: the faster we read, the more we miss. There have been numerous amounts of people who claim they are able to read between 15,000 and 30,000 words per minute when the average rate ranges between 250 and 300 words per minute. These extraordinary claims are yet to be proven. This is an important theory because speed-reading classes are very expensive and make promises that don't come true a lot of the time. In the article attached below, Gordon Legge, a vision researcher at the University of Minnesota said, "Although you might have the illusion that you see the whole page, you can actually only see small groups of letters at the point where your eyes are focused. Only eight or 10 letters fit in this tiny window, called the visual span. The rest of the letters are just a blur." Legge is saying that even the actual idea of being able to speed-read is bogus and that it is impossible for our eyes to really see enough words to be able to read them at such a fast rate. If this is true, there is no way that a course would be able to help people learn how to speed-read because it is physically impossible. But what about the people who claim that they can speed-read and that the courses are effective? When tested, most of the people who have made these claims fail to prove their extremely fast reading rate, while still comprehending the material.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17705002/

What I will remember

Five years from now, I think I will remember about analyzing psychological claims and not falling into the logical fallacies that our book discussed. I found this concept very interesting because people are pelted with new, intuitive psychological claims every day, and using the skills that the book has taught me, I think I will be able to better evaluate these claims as certifiable or not. Our books author does a great job of giving examples of each fallacy and why they should be knows so you don't get suckered into believing something that is untrue. I think that I will remember this because it will be very useful in my daily life, and could be used for other concepts that I come across as well. Overall, the book taught me to not take everything for its face value. To think through why something might be the way it is, and to realize that sometimes people make false claims to try and make a quick buck. By using these strategies, I can avoid the thinking that if something is on print or in a commercial, it must be true. Not to say that I thought that way before, but with these tools I feel that I am better equipped to deal with life and the claims that people will throw at me.

fallacy[1].gif

Happiness

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/65158/merry-christmas-joy-happiness.jpg

I think that, when it comes down to it, everyone wants one thing: happiness. Yes, you can say that people want money, power, love or freedom, but I think many people want these things because these things will make them happy--or at least people think that they will make them happy. Finding meaning and and success in life seems to make your life more enjoyable. So, if life is, in a way, a complicated pursuit of happiness, I think the section of the class on happiness, specifically, the part that reveals popular misconceptions and highlights truths of thing that make us, as people, happy, has the potential to be helpful. Rich people and people in California are not happy just because they have money or live on the west coast, and old people are not less happy than younger people. Things that do make people happier are: marriage, friendships, education, religion, political affiliation, exercise, gratitude and giving.

2609700008_4a35fc9d56.jpg
Every day people say 'hello' to us with a radiant smile.But do you know he is really good to see you or he just simper?British scientists carried a large-scale online experiment so that to distinguish between a smile and a smirk.
People can log www.sciencefestival.co.uk and register with their name and age to participate in it.They would see many smiling pictures and find the fake one.The leader Pro.Weismann hope they can know which part of our expression can send us the information of smile.
In the past,psychologist believe that by checking the movement of the diaphragm and other parts of the body, it will be possible to see if a person is only pretending to laugh while also distinguishing different types of laughter such as derision and cynicism, Kimura said.( by Japanese professor Yoji Kimura )。Now they want to know more.

The thing that I will remember the most are the six principles of scientific thinking. Now that I learned them in class, they just keep showing up everywhere around me and in many different concepts. Whether in be in a different class or reading an article in the newspaper, I will be able to assess it by using these principles. Knowing these principles will help me to make better judgments and choose if something makes sense or not. The main one that I have seen so far is correlation vs causation. I have noticed that so many stories tend to lead toward correlation equally causation, but I now know how to be skeptical about these and pick out the real and fake ones. Psychology is used many times throughout the day and without the knowledge that I have learned in this course, I doubt I would even pick up or recognize it. Weeding through the facts to find the important parts will be an important part of having a job and dealing with conflicts later in life, so it is good to have a basis that you can go off of.

IQ and EQ.

IQ and EQ, which one is more important? I think we all have different answers. IQ is good because it makes your smarter, while EQ makes you more sociable.
EQ - is a measure of your emotional intelligence, or your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life.
IQ - a number used to express the apparent relative intelligence of a person that is the ratio multiplied by 100 of the mental age as reported on a standardized test to the chronological age.
See, if a person's IQ isn't a certain level (estimated to be around 90) then high EQ wouldn't even matter because it's highly unlikely that a person would have the wherewithal to use it effectively. Think about that.
As you advance in an organization, EQ plays an increasingly important in factor. But in most cases you would also need an MBA or higher, right? According to statistics you need an IQ of 100-120 to earn an advanced degree.

After a big thanksgiving meal, where does everyone go? Usually, they head straight for the closest couch or chair to take a nap. What makes us so tired? It was previously assumed that the guest of honor, turkey, was the culprit of this overwhelming feeling of drowsiness. Yes, turkey does contain the amino acid, tryptophan, which is a natural sedative, but we do not consume near enough turkey to induce the drowsiness we are all overcome by. It is believe that the real culprits of our need to take a nap would be, the consummation of alcohol, overeating carbohydrates, and increased blood flow in the gastrointestinal tract, which increases the metabolic rate. It is interesting to find out the real cause of our post-thanksgiving gorging drowsiness. Looking at the the facts scientifically, one usually can find an answer.

Recent Assets

• fallacy[1].gif
  • Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 12.37.46 AM.png
  • merry-christmas-joy-happiness-1.jpg
  • 2609700008_4a35fc9d56.jpg
  • male_brain.gif
  • 350px-Triangular_Theory_of_Love.gif
  • snapshot (14).jpg
  • Weight Loss Products.jpg
  • IQ_curve.png
  • Occams-Razor_1896-l.jpg