Band, Orchestra, or Choir?

A study was conducted between two high schools involving their band, orchestra, and choir ensembles and their relationship to personality. The study also tried to indicate whether having a certain personality type would make you choose a certain instrument. To ensure validity, those being measured had be involved in only one ensemble and had to have participated in that ensemble for more than a year. It was predicted that those in choir would be more extraverted and those participating in band and orchestra would be more introverted. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), one of the most widely used personality tests worldwide, was administrated to test this theory. They found that for all ensembles more students preferred extroversion, but for all of the other categories that MBTI tested there was no difference. As predicted, choir students had higher extroversion scores than did the students in band and orchestra. Although our textbook states that the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is not a reliable test of personality, most the results have been replicated by other studies.

After taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator for my job in high school, I believe that the results were accurate and described my personality well. One of my friends who also took the test seemed to feel the same way. However, this could be due to the P.T. Barnum effect. I would be interested in taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator again to see what my results would be like now that I am in college and living a new lifestyle. It would be interesting to see how consistent personality is through your lifetime.

TEXT TO LINK TO

Band_Geek_Marching_Band_Style_by_blackheartangel55.jpg

What study are you referring to? You need to cite/link your information!