Hate: A Neglected Topic

Hate: A Neglected Topic
http://www.psychology.com/articles/?p=233

"In my heart, there are two wolves: a wolf of love and a wolf of hate. It all depends on which one I feed each day." This quote by a Native American woman is extremely interesting, because it delves into the character of human beings. Hate comes easy for human beings, because it is synonymous with aggression, a natural instinct that all humans possess. I have notice from my own personal actions and the actions of others worldwide that it is easier to experience Hate than Love. This is especially true in Western-Individualistic societies. Hate is bred when your own personal anxieties are brought about whether it's through envy, extreme dislike, unfamiliarity etc. These anxieties that we experience led to hatred towards the subject producing the anxiety. We then blame these anxieties on the subject leading to our actions of hatred. Now hatred can be executed in so many ways, ranging from a snide comment to something as horrible as genocide. Hatred is a difficult emotion to cover and hide away; it also seems to come easier than love. It feels good to release it too, so it's an emotion that leads to more hate, like in the picture hatred breeds hatred. You are natural going to dislike someone that hates you. This is where hatred gets scary. Hatred also breeds community. Like the old saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" people bond over mutual hatred, this can lead to more hatred. This has been shown perfectly in the Israeli-Palestine conflict, where there is just extreme hatred for each other, and it is being fueled by the mutual hatred and the bonding over a common hatred. So when you think which wolf shall I feed today, do the wolf of love. Even though hatred is contagious, so is love and the world would be a better place if people could overcome their hatred with love without having their love for something lead to the hatred of another competing subject.

Be sure to use the link function and tell us why we should visit the link. Connect this more to some of the concepts that you have learned in class. How does it relate? What do you think could be done about it?