IQ vs. Obesity?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57326843-10391704/low-intelligence-causes-obesity-what-research-shows/

Extremely recently, CBS published an article that brought up the point that low scores on the Intelligent Quotient could be related to obesity. Even after just reading the title of the article, my couple months of studies in Psych 1001 led there to be many red flags appearing in my head. According to Freeman, "For the study - described at a recent meeting of the American Heart Association - researchers in Sweden compared the waist-hip ratios of more than 5,000 40-year-old men to their scores on IQ tests taken when they were around 18 years of age. The researchers found a strong inverse relationship between the ratios, which scientists use to gauge obesity and heart disease risk." First thing I thought of was that correlation does not equal causation. I am questioning whether there is an extra variable in there that is causing the obesity (overeating). It does not make any sense to me that having a low IQ would cause someone to be overweight. The author of the study argues that people with a low IQ have troubles receiving all the messages that are sent to them. Even so, I find this claim to be extremely ridiculous. What could be causing this relationship? It could be that these people make poorer or cheaper food choices. However, I firmly think that just because someone scores "lower" on the IQ test does not make them more likely to be overweight.

1 TrackBack

sportingoodsdirect.com from sportingoodsdirect.com on September 6, 2012 3:58 AM

IQ vs. Obesity? - Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001 Read More

Be careful... You are correct that there is no proven causal relationship but the correlation implies that lower IQ scores does make it more likely that you will be overweight (no causality implied here). What other factors could account for the correlation? Use the link function and add a picture.