PARENTING STYLES

No set of parents raise their children the same. As we learned in our chapter in human development, there are three types of parenting styles that parents typically fall into. They include permissive, authoritarian, and authoritative parenting styles. Parents raise their children according to their morals, values, and beliefs. There are however many factors that play into what type of style of parenting you fall into. Religion, relationship with child, and personal experience all play into what type of style parents use.

When parents fall under the permissive style, they give up most rules to their children which allows them a considerable amount of freedom in their life. They avoid disciplining their child at all cost which often means giving them the benefit of the doubt or simply turning a blind eye to what's really going on. Most importantly though, permissive parents shower their children with more affection than you can imagine.

Another type of parenting is the authoritarian parenting style. In this style, parents are extremely strict and punish children whenever they deem necessary. They set high standards for their children and are greatly upset when these standards are not met. In doing this they show very little emotional and are often distant.

The Final type of parenting style is authoritative which is a combination of permissive and authoritarian parenting styles. Most parents use this style to raise their children because it provides structure as well as affection. They help their children be responsible for themselves and own up to any consequences that come their way. They want them to succeed in life, and be the best that they can be. They set clear guidelines for their children to follow, and praise them when they do well.

Personally, my parents raised me in an authoritarian home. The pushed me to have good grades in school, yet rewarded me whenever I came home with A's. I always had chores around the house, and rules about going out at night too. However, with these rules, I became a well trusted daughter and was allowed to go places like Chicago without having my parents worry about me.

source: "Parenting Styles." About Pediatrics - Pediatric Parenting and Medical Advice . The New York Times Company, 2011. Web. 20 Nov. 2011.

Do you mean your parents were authoritative? Use the link function so we can access the article you cite. Also tell us why and when to look at the video you include.