Repression

Repression is the motivated defense mechanism to forget emotionally threatening memories and or impulses as they may cause anxiety. Freud theorized we repress unhappy memories to prevent future pain or suffering they may occur. There are two stages of repression. In the first stage, primal repression it consist of denial of psychical representation of the instinct to the conscious. The second stage, repression proper creation of an ego and by censorship. We believe this an important important because, it can explain why we don't remember events that occurred prior to age three, infantile amnesia, and embarrassing events we do not want to remember.
I am a victim of repression. Repression has made my life easier to deal with because I am fairly pessimistic. Usually I think things through but in the spur of the moment I don't. When I do not think things through, often I act on impulse and do embarrassing things many which I do not want to remember. For instance, during middle school I have done some really embarrassing freaky dance moves during a dance battle that I am not proud of. Thinking about it gives me the shivers.
Is there a way to permanently remove memories or induce amnesia? How do we distinguish repression from denial when some memories are caused by a mixture of internal and external experiences?

What does psychology believe about repression now? What were the arguments researchers made about False Memories that were supposedly repressed memories? Explain the repression types more. Where did you get your information (cite/link)? A picture would be nice.