"Somatic Marker Theory" Mouakoon Yang Writing 4

Mouakoon Yang
Writing 4
11-06-11

timmy, snake strike 2.jpg

In Psy 1001 we learn about the somatic marker theory. This theory states that we people decide how we act or should act from the use of our reactions or "gut reactions" as they have said in the text books. This would be kind of an animal instant that we have, like an animal who strikes out of instant to defend itself from danger. An example is a snake who strikes at an object in which it feel threatens from, a skunk who release a liquid with strong foul odor to when it feels threaten. These are good example of the somatic marker theory because like the animals who strikes we to also strikes, having a faster heart rate and sweating in a situation leads us to instantly take an action and just go with that action or decision.

I believe in the somatic marker theory because it is kind of true in a way. Where I can use this theory to illustrate decision making in sport, when a player feels the pressure they make just make a fast decision or a gamble like and animal just taking a strike at something that you have no idea what it is and how that decision can affect you. I want to use sport as life aspect of myself to support this theory, I have played flag football before and was lucking enough to earn a spot as an quarter back which is one of the biggest and toughest job on a football team. It is really easy to feel the pressure of the other team when you don't have a good offence line to help protect you. So as stated by the theory I took an "gut reaction" decision to run out of the pocket trying my best to get a first down but I ended up losing yards. As stated from the theory is that my gut reaction helped to determine what I thought I should do which was to run. From learning about this theory makes me wonder if this theory applies to all human behavior decision making skill or just to those who are gut reactions.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making in your last sentence. What other ways do we make decisions? Should we always make decisions this way?