The Big Five

In the Lilienfeld text in Chapter 14, we are introduced to the Big Five. The Big Five, according to the Lilienfeld text is, five traits that have surfaced repeatedly in factor analyses of personality measures. The Big Five were uncovered using a lexical approach to personality, which proposes that the most crucial features of human personality are embedded in our language. According to Paul Costa, Robert McCrae, and their collaborators there are five dimensions to the Big Five. Openness to Experience- people tend to be intellectually curious and unconventional. Conscientiousness- people tend to be careful and responsible. Extraversion- people tend to be social and lively. Agreeableness- people tend to be sociable and easy to get along with. Neuroticism- people tend to be tense and moody. I feel that the Big Five is important because you can use it to describe a lot of different factors about a person and not just one single trait. For me, I scored really high as an extrovert and with conscientiousness. I am a super organized person and make sure to be very careful and take my time until everything is perfect. I am in a sorority so being an extrovert is a great trait to have because you are constantly meeting other people and having to be social at events. I wonder how accurate these tests are and if people "cheat" on the test, so that their results come out to something that they wish they could be. How do we monitor that and make sure that the information is correct?
Blog picture- 2.gif

What are some ways that you could test for whether people are answering questions honestly? Do you think people would want to "lie" about their personality? Explain what you mean by the "lexical features of personality".