Classical Conditioning: You Will Be Remembered

Psy. 1001 has been quite an interesting course this semester. In fact, I would probably consider it my favorite class of the semester. Even though there were many important concepts and ideas, the one that I believe that will stick with me for the longest time is Pavlov's theory of classic conditioning. When we were learning about classic conditioning, I felt extra interested. I have always been curious on how our brains make connections to things that we need/want. How the unconscious part of our brains actually have a lot of influence on our learning. I someday want to own and raise a dog and use classic conditioning to train it. I will probably think back to college at some point in adulthood when I have a kid of my own and use these techniques on him/her and see if I get results. An example of this could be simply rewarding my kids with a new video game for every good grade they bring home to me while they're growing up. This will condition them to grow up thinking if you work hard, you'll get rewarded in the long run and you'll then be able to play hard, so to speak, because of the hard work they put in initially. This will then apply to them in the real world as they get older to bigger and better goals. They will work harder to achieve their goals because they'll know that only good will come out of it.

Ah but be careful with rewarding grades (which technically is operant rather than classical conditioning... :) ) because it can mess with concepts of intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation... I can tell you that positive reinforcement and classical conditioning absolutely work wonders in dog training.