Freud's Theory and Courage

When asked the question what will I remember from Psych 1001 5 years from now, as a psych major, I guess I should say everything, but if there was one thing I would definitely remember it would be Sigmund Freud's Stages of Psychosexual Development. It is one of the craziest and most unusual theories I have ever encountered through out the semester of Psych 1001. If some of you don't remember what Freud's Stages of Psychosexual Development you can check it out here. Despite Freud's Stages of Psychosexual Development being unusual, the reason I also think I will remember this five years from now is the fact that though Sigmund Freud seems to have a weird way of looking at things, it is very admirable of him to put forth his idea and risk being seen as a laughingstock or being scoffed at. Sigmund Freud has come up with so many ideas and so many theories but this one theory about the stages of Psychosexual Development has to be one of the hardest theories for him to put forth and because he did so I admire his ability. Five years from now, I hope to be in graduate school and the one thing that I will remember the most is Freud's crazy Psychosexual Development and Freud's courage in proposing the theory to the world.

I wonder if he ever would have had the courage to propose it in more modern times...