Psychoanalytic Theory of Personality

Freud's psychoanalytic theory of personality is a very important theory because it differs from all other personality theories. The psychoanalytic theory is based on three main assumptions: psychic determination, symbolic meaning, and unconscious motivation. Psychic determination is the assumption that all psychological events have a cause. I am a strong believer in that everything happens for a reason, so I think this is a very important part of the concept. There really is a cause for everything that happens even if we don't know it at the time of the event. The second assumption, symbolic meaning, is that no action, no matter how seemingly trivial, is meaningless. This also supports the idea that everything happens for a reason. There really is a connection and deeper meaning to every action or event that happens in a person's life. A lot of people don't take the time to analyze these events, so they don't realize it. The third assumption, unconscious motivation, is that most of the things that we do is done by the unconscious part of our personality. We do not have explanations for a lot of the things that we do and that is because of our unconscious. Freud argued that the unconscious is of a lot greater importance in the causes of our personality than the conscious. I think that everyone can use Freud's psychoanalytic theory in everyday life by using the three assumptions to analyze people's behavior that they don't understand. If someone thinks that some event or action is meaningless, taking the time to analyze the situation could result in a deeper meaning for the reason and better help someone understand. I do wonder how every single action can be a symbol for something, such as brushing one's hair, because there are things that we do that I feel have no deeper meaning, but I will trust Freud on that.

Does modern psychology trust Freud? What do most researchers say about Freud's theory of personality? Where did you get your information (cite/link to sources)? Include a picture.

I do firmly believe that there is a reason for everything that we say or do- a reason which can be realized or subconscious; we have a motivation for every reaction. Analyzing the life situations may help you to orientate better and even to surpress upcoming crises. Removals