Suggestive Memory Techniques and the Misinformation Effect

Five years from now, I think the Psychology concepts I will remember best are Suggestive Memory Techniques, along with the Misinformation effect. When we talked about the case of Paul Ingram and studies performed by Elizabeth Loftus during my discussion section, I was beside myself. The idea that people can come to believe that they did something or met someone based on Photoshopped pictures or false testimonies seemed foreign. Suggestion has a lot more power over the human brain than I thought. It seems to me that these two concepts hurt people more than they help. The majority of the applications I can think of would implicate someone in a crime. The justice system can be abused with these methods and can lead to false convictions due to misinformation and false memories. These concepts stand out most to me because I would not want to fall victim to them, and being aware of their existence seems far better than ignorance of them. The more people know about this, the less likely it will be for corruption and injustice to arise because of Suggestive Memory Techniques and the Misinformation Effect.

I think these are so important to understand because so many people do not realize that they can happen (usually accidentally!).