What I Will Take Away From Psychology

What I will most definitely remember five years down the line from psychology 1001 is the critical thinking strategy of correlation vs. causation. This will stick with me because of all of the different ways it can apply. This principle will be apparent in any experiment that I conduct because it can be a common mistake to assume that just because two results are correlated that one causes the other. A lot of times in the media there are assumption mistakes within this concept and psychology has taught me to be aware of this mistake and not to fall prey to making an assumption that correlation equals causation.
The critical thinking strategy of correlation vs. causation has also taught me that when looking at correlation and trying to determine a cause there might also be third party factors. Being aware of this is crucial in an example like looking at an example like the correlation between being overweight and living in Alaska. Keeping in mind that this correlation may exist because of the diet in Alaska. Keeping in mind that there may be a third factor will always be important because it will make sure that when looking for possible causations, that I will keep an open mind to the idea that there may be a third factor that could be leading to the correlation between two findings.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbODqslc4Tg

Excellent. Now just be sure you do not over apply it. Sometimes studies do show causality! :)