Recently in Writing 6 Category

5 Years from Now

Over the course of this semester, there have obviously been a lot of things that I have learned about psychology that I didn't know before. Many of these things I quickly realized are very applicable to real-life situations. I am not going to be majoring in psychology, however taking this course was very stimulating and in my opinion one that is crucial for courses I will take in the future. I have learned to never take anything for what it is. Things such as correlation does not always equal causation, and many of the other scientific principles, are things that I will carry with me through the rest of my college years. It is something which is crucial to the process of critical thinking and analyzing data, information, etc. It is the one thing I will remember because it not only applies to psychology, but to every single other field out there right now. It is something that I believe every student should be aware of, so they don't just take everything as it is. As I learned this semester, analyzing things at a deeper level can provide a very different outcome.

What I will remember

Five years from now, I think I will remember about analyzing psychological claims and not falling into the logical fallacies that our book discussed. I found this concept very interesting because people are pelted with new, intuitive psychological claims every day, and using the skills that the book has taught me, I think I will be able to better evaluate these claims as certifiable or not. Our books author does a great job of giving examples of each fallacy and why they should be knows so you don't get suckered into believing something that is untrue. I think that I will remember this because it will be very useful in my daily life, and could be used for other concepts that I come across as well. Overall, the book taught me to not take everything for its face value. To think through why something might be the way it is, and to realize that sometimes people make false claims to try and make a quick buck. By using these strategies, I can avoid the thinking that if something is on print or in a commercial, it must be true. Not to say that I thought that way before, but with these tools I feel that I am better equipped to deal with life and the claims that people will throw at me.

fallacy[1].gif

Happiness

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/65158/merry-christmas-joy-happiness.jpg

I think that, when it comes down to it, everyone wants one thing: happiness. Yes, you can say that people want money, power, love or freedom, but I think many people want these things because these things will make them happy--or at least people think that they will make them happy. Finding meaning and and success in life seems to make your life more enjoyable. So, if life is, in a way, a complicated pursuit of happiness, I think the section of the class on happiness, specifically, the part that reveals popular misconceptions and highlights truths of thing that make us, as people, happy, has the potential to be helpful. Rich people and people in California are not happy just because they have money or live on the west coast, and old people are not less happy than younger people. Things that do make people happier are: marriage, friendships, education, religion, political affiliation, exercise, gratitude and giving.

2609700008_4a35fc9d56.jpg
Every day people say 'hello' to us with a radiant smile.But do you know he is really good to see you or he just simper?British scientists carried a large-scale online experiment so that to distinguish between a smile and a smirk.
People can log www.sciencefestival.co.uk and register with their name and age to participate in it.They would see many smiling pictures and find the fake one.The leader Pro.Weismann hope they can know which part of our expression can send us the information of smile.
In the past,psychologist believe that by checking the movement of the diaphragm and other parts of the body, it will be possible to see if a person is only pretending to laugh while also distinguishing different types of laughter such as derision and cynicism, Kimura said.( by Japanese professor Yoji Kimura )。Now they want to know more.

The thing that I will remember the most are the six principles of scientific thinking. Now that I learned them in class, they just keep showing up everywhere around me and in many different concepts. Whether in be in a different class or reading an article in the newspaper, I will be able to assess it by using these principles. Knowing these principles will help me to make better judgments and choose if something makes sense or not. The main one that I have seen so far is correlation vs causation. I have noticed that so many stories tend to lead toward correlation equally causation, but I now know how to be skeptical about these and pick out the real and fake ones. Psychology is used many times throughout the day and without the knowledge that I have learned in this course, I doubt I would even pick up or recognize it. Weeding through the facts to find the important parts will be an important part of having a job and dealing with conflicts later in life, so it is good to have a basis that you can go off of.

IQ and EQ.

IQ and EQ, which one is more important? I think we all have different answers. IQ is good because it makes your smarter, while EQ makes you more sociable.
EQ - is a measure of your emotional intelligence, or your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life.
IQ - a number used to express the apparent relative intelligence of a person that is the ratio multiplied by 100 of the mental age as reported on a standardized test to the chronological age.
See, if a person's IQ isn't a certain level (estimated to be around 90) then high EQ wouldn't even matter because it's highly unlikely that a person would have the wherewithal to use it effectively. Think about that.
As you advance in an organization, EQ plays an increasingly important in factor. But in most cases you would also need an MBA or higher, right? According to statistics you need an IQ of 100-120 to earn an advanced degree.

Everlasting love??

There are many things that I have learned this semester that will stick with me well into the future. Knowledge about parenting (conditioning), child/brain development, etc, will all come in handy in the future. One thing that was not as heavily focused on, but I think it quite interesting and will definitely affect me into the future is the "triangular theory of love" by Sternberg. This theory states that there are three major elements to love: intimacy, passion, and commitment. Each of these parts of the triangular theory can create different types of relationships and can help people understand their relationships. By understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a relationship, couples can build stronger connections or alternatively realize their relationship is not working. This diagram shows the different types of love that can occur depending on which sides of the triangle are present in a relationship.
350px-Triangular_Theory_of_Love.gif

I think that while other things we learned in class will certainly be useful in the future, I am definitely not planning on having kids within the next five years, but I do plan on continuing my current relationship, or alternatively creating new ones. Other ideas that I will also remember connected to this idea are passionate vs. compassionate love, the triangular theory of hate, and information about attraction.

snapshot (14).jpg
"The boyfriend"

The concept in psychology that I will remember five years from now would most definitely be the concept of sleep. Rather it be REM sleep or Non REM sleep, we live a large portion of our lives in sleep mode and it was truly interesting to learn about the type of things that can happen between the time we close our eyes to the opening of our eyes the next morning or before. Learning about sleep disorders like the sleep cycle, sleep apnea, sleep paralysis, sleep deprivation, sleep debt and sleepwalking was a huge treat. Because so many of us and our family or friends have sleeping disorders and sometimes don't understand the reason why these things are happening to them or their children, it was fun to learn about how these disorders happen and what to do to cope (for parents) and or treat. I have had the gift of leaning about sleeping disorders and the information that revolves around them, but usually you would need to visit a doctor or professional in order to gain this knowledge. I have bought the psychology book for a reasonable price and now hold the knowledge that a lot of others would have to pay a lot more money to gain. Having this information will be helpful throughout life. Thanks.

How ya feeling?

5 years from now, if I was asked to recall something from my first semester class of my freshman year, which is Psychology 1001, I'm not going to lie. I will struggle. But one concept, will stay very vivid in my brain, for what i'm sure will be for even more than 5 years.

The Idea of Primary Emotions.

I'll give Mariah Carey props for her song, Emotions.
But maybe if she'd have taken Psych 1001,
she would have a few more things to sing about.

There are seven almost universally recognizable facial expressions that make up our primary emotions.

-Sadness
-Surprise
-Anger
-Fear
-Contempt
-Disgust

and of course, the most easily recognized emotion:

HAPPINESS!!!

I feel like this will be what I remember most because I am a very empathetic person. I strive in understanding how my family, friends and boyfriend are feeling. Being an empathetic person allows me to create many secondary emotions. These include harder feelings to interpret, such as hatred or anxiousness. Most importantly these secondary emotions include love!

Untitled.png

These emotions are even recognizable between Gophers & Badgers. ;)

Five years from now, I will remember the placebo and nocebo effect. I am majoring in neuroscience, and am very interested in learning about the biological reasons the effects take place. So five years from now, I hope to study such effects. I am really interested in studying these effects. For example, if someone who is allergic to flowers then smells a fake flower and starts having symptoms, then the nocebo effect has been established. I want to know why he or she would sneeze when smelling the flower. What biological processes undergo these situations? I would look back, and think that it started from my psychology course. I learned how to evaluate things with a more scientific approach, how to avoid popular psychology, and how to utilize my scientific principles more effectively to mostly everything. Five years from now, I will want to know if by knowing how the placebo effect works, if that will somehow change the outcome, and how it will work biologically. For example, If I listen to pieces by Chopin before practicing piano, I get more work done. I want to know that if I know how the placebo effect works, if then it will cancel out the effects of that, so that listening to Chopin before practicing piano, will be the same as not listening to Chopin. I will want to know the biological reasons. This will always remind me of Psychology.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Writing 6 category.

Writing 5 is the previous category.

Writing Assignment 1 is the next category.

Writing 6: Monthly Archives