D.A.R.E. to Get Kids High

Remember the D.A.R.E. program you went through sometime in junior high? Well that's what it did to juniors, it got them high. Research has shown that the program may get kids interested in doing drugs rather than keeping them off drugs. The D.A.R.E. program failed to work because junior high is simply too late to start talking about prevention of drugs and alcohol during the beginning stages of adolescence. Research has shown that the one good thing D.A.R.E. did for our youth was make police officers approachable.

If a program is to be run in the school systems to prevent kids from getting involved with drugs it should be in elementary school. Not as a scare tactic but to let them know before they start doing drugs the harmful effects that it can have on them. I know when I was in junior high I liked to goof off and often say things to make the class laugh, a serious topic like prevention of drugs was not something I would listen to.

Do Drugs 2.jpg

Programs that focus on managing stress, nutrition, staying healthy and alternative activities are just some examples of other methods of prevention to junior high kids.If they get the drug prevention as a youngin then more healthy life choices as an adolescent, it may help keep them off drugs when they are first DARED to take their first hit.

I also took D.A.R.E. in middle school and these findings are very interesting, because thinking back I was forced to think a lot about drugs and alcohol whereas previously it did not really cross my mind. But what age would be adequate for this type of class? If students are too young it is not applicable to their lives yet, so it is hard to find the correct timing to insert this "training".

In my school district we did D.A.R.E. in elementary school in 5th and 6th grade and I never thought about doing drugs after that! They made it seem so terrible. I could see how people who went through it in junior high could formulate different opinions about drugs because they are in the "argue against everything an authority figure tells you to do" stage.

I took D.A.R.E. in Elementary school! I totally think that there is a big difference between what age you expose the effects of drugs and alcohol and how they react to it. I am very glad I learnt at a young age how terrible certain drugs are and how bad they are for your body. Through the D.A.R.E. program we did many projects and experiments. One I remember was sucking in through a straw. That was to show how you would breathe if you were a heavy smoker. I will always remember that and I have been scared since I learnt about it that day.

I took D.A.R.E in elementary school as well. I feel like it was good for the students then but I believe it is important to keep teaching kids about the negative effects of drugs more than just the one program. I also feel like they should do more to teach kids about peer pressure. I came from a relatively small town and a lot of kids got into drugs. I feel like this was more because of peer pressure and not about not knowing the harmful effects of drugs. Overall, I did not feel like the D.A.R.E program in elementary school was very helpful because it was not relevant to children at that age.

I absolutely agree that D.A.R.E. type programs should be done in elementary school. It seems to be a lot more effective when kids are exposed to the dangers earlier. Kids also start these dangerous behaviors at very young ages now, so making sure they're informed early in life cannot hurt.