Art Illusions

The pieces of art done by this artist are perfect examples of how artists use some perception principles to enhance their work. In both pieces, there is an element of bottom-up processing. In bottom-up processing the entirety of the image--or in this case, art--is processed or constructed by the parts that make it up. In the first piece of art, the individual flowers stems, buds, leaves, and butterfly are essentially meaningless individually. But when seen together they portray a scene. In the second piece the tree and three flying birds do the same thing. Working with this bottom-up processing is the figure ground concept, which is one of the six Gestalt principles. As seen in the first artwork, the viewer can either draw their attention to the garden scene (the figure), or to the face of a woman created by these things (the background). Once again this concept is evident in the second image as well - the viewer can focus on the nature seen (figures) or the background that creates the image of a woman's face. As is evident in these pieces of art the perception principles of psychology are used by us everyday, whether we realize it or not. art_illusions_6.jpg art_illusions2.jpg

This is a really clever example of defining bottom-up processing. It is only by defining each of the parts (lips, nose, eye, eyebrow) of these artworks that you can combine them to see the whole, or the woman's face. I really like these images, they would be great as wall decor in a nature-themed room!

I always find these bi-stable like images very interesting. It is incredible how quickly the brain can process individual information in order to conjure up an image that turns out to be a woman's face in this case. This bottom-up process as you mentioned is one of the many useful and interesting parts of the brain that are used in everyday life. Some of these images can even be very difficult for people to see at first, but after a while they are likely to work it out and see what the artist is trying to portray.

It took me a while to get past the nature elements and see the womens' faces, but once I did the art took on a new meaning. It's amazing how artists can create bi-stable images to add depth to their art. Some people will look at these images and just see lovely nature scenes, while others will get find another level of meaning with the faces.

This two examples are amazing. I think it is very clever and attractive to mix illusion with art.

This took me a bit to look beyond the birds and the tree and see the illusion. I have never seen an illusion like this. It is so cool how the artist incorporated art into the the mind illusion and makes you see the picture both ways. It really challenges your mind to look at the picture in both ways. very interesting blog post!

Great examples of figure and ground! It would be nice to have a link to more information about art and illusions or something similar!

With the title of "Art Illusions", I automatically focused on the picture as a whole, not on each elements. And as I only saw the woman faces, it took me some time to acknolwedge each composition of woman's face.
If the author didn't metion these images as "Art Illusions", it would be hard to notice woman's face.
I really like this two examples for bottom-up processing, and show my respect to the artist.

As an art student, this is some of my favorite type of work. It involves so much thought and careful drawing or painting to create illusions or perception art that I am generally in awe of the pictures. This is something I'm very interested in and would actually love to try to do myself.

I really love the second image and was wondering if I could use it as my logo for a home business I am working on starting?
Thanks