Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture

Ever wonder why we turned out the way we are? As we have read in Chapter 3, there is a big debate on how we came to be who we are. The discussion of nature versus nurture has been going on for more than 150 years. This debate discusses inheritance of genes from parents. An article by Ryan Johnson, from ALLpsych, raises the debate of nature versus nurture discussing homosexuality in today's society. This article goes back and forth arguing if homosexuality is developed through nature characteristics or nurture characteristics. Johnson displays a quote, "It (homosexuality) emerges from most people in early adolescence with no prior sexual experience." From this quote it seems, as Johnson believes homosexuality comes from nurture instead of nature. However, as you keep reading the article, Johnson describes some tests that were done in the early 30's. A researcher, Alfred Kinsey did an experiment on a group of males that had such strong results it put the world homosexual into common language. Both nature and nurture have arguments for and against each other. Doctors and researchers have opinions on both sides, and both have great examples. Looking at family history and the environment we grow up around will never be enough information to tell which one is more dominant. nature_nurture.jpg

Why do you think that quote indicates nurture? What was the Kinsey study and what were his results? What arguments for nature and nurture are there?

Very interesting topic! I think this is a highly debated topic still in the world today. As for nature vs. nurture I think for homosexuality it is mostly nature. People always talk about how they cannot help how they are born. Being raised by two men or two women, in my opinion, will not effect if the child becomes homosexual. From personal experiences I have seen and heard people say that they could not control how they felt and that they were born attracted to the same sex. Overall, great topic and great blogging!

this argument is interesting. I always thought that the sexuality was something you were born with because I have a gay friend and he claims that he knew he was gay when he was only 9 years old. he always played with dolls instead of toy cars, just being girly. I also think that if we say the sexual orientation of a person is greatly affected by a person's childhood or environment, would all the people who grew up in a certain background (raised by gay couple for example) become gays? I think that the sexuality of a person is determined by both nature and nurture as I see people being open-minded when they grew up in certain environments.