Take more Naps and STILL Have Time for Homework?

Have you ever had trouble getting assignments done or felt like there is simply not enough time in the day to complete all that needs to be completed? There may be a solution to finding a little extra time in your busy schedule and it starts by what happens at night.
funny-pictures-bunny-naps-on-homework.jpg
About 1/3 of our lives are spent under comfy covers, in a land of dreams. This is because ever since we were little it has been drilled in our minds that 8 hours of sleep a night is necessary for a healthy morning and a healthy conscious. However, it is not necessarily the hours that you sleep, but more about the quality of the sleep itself. "About 70 to 90 minutes after falling asleep, you enter REM sleep, where dreaming occurs. Eyes move rapidly. Breathing is shallow. Heart rate and blood pressure increase. Arm and leg muscles are paralyzed." (HelpGuide) This stage is often considered one of the most important stages, allowing your body to fully repair itself and build up energy for the next day. REM sleep also is an important part of a daily routine to aid with memory and learning. So what if we could obtain REM sleep faster? Still getting a healthy dosage of REM sleep, but in less time. Researchers have been racking their brains on this thought for ages and some alternative sleep cycles have been proposed, but these are not necessarily successful. One cycle I found particularly alluring is called the "Uberman Cycle" which involves a set of 6 naps for 20-30 minuets every 4 hours in a day. As awesome as this sounds-only 3 hours of sleep compared to 8-I am a little skeptical on the accuracy of this type of cycle. First off, it would be a struggle to begin this type of sleep schedule due to the system of our society. It would also be difficult to train our bodies to shorten the stages leading up to REM sleep, in order to maximize the REM sleep that is gained from these naps. Although, appealing, these types of cycles may not fit into an already structured civilization. Still if this turns out to be a successful style for getting the shut eye I and other well deserving college students desire, then I would gladly be willing to give it a try!

For more information on this type of cycle or more like it, visit: http://www.highexistence.com/alternate-sleep-cycles/

This is great!! It’s a topic that every college student is very interested in I'm sure. The Uberman Cycle that you mentioned is something I've never heard of before so I found it very intriguing. Is there a link to more information about it that you could post? Also, it almost sounds too good to be true, I would be curious as to the studies behind it and the evidence proving its worth.

This is quite interesting! I read some more articles on the Uberman Cycle and was disappointed when it had said that no one thus far has been able to stick with this sleeping schedule. But it is an interesting concept to grasp: the fact that everyone believes having 8 consecutive hours of sleep is essential when there are also other alternatives that could be just as effective as well. Because we all know that everyone loves to nap in college.

This is a very interesting topic to think about. Although, in our society this way would not be seen as acceptable or right it is interesting to see how research has shown that this way of sleep is effective. I never would have thought that 6 naps throughout one's day would be as effective or more effective as 8 hours of sleep in a night. Everyone loves napping in college and I think this would be a great way for college students to earn sleep throughout their day.

I can personally say that napping really helps a lot more than attempting to sleep all the way through the night. I always feel more rested after getting 5 hours of sleep at night and a nap or two throughout the day than getting 8 or 9 hours of sleep at night and no naps. This may be personal but I feel that the human body is not able to stay awake for 16+ hours straight. Maybe spitting up the 9 hours of good sleep is better than trying to chunk it all together.

I can definitely believe that 6 naps rather than 8 hours of sleep. When I wake up in the morning I am so tired and it takes me forever to actually get moving and don't even get me started on actually having the energy to pay attention in class. I find that naps, even just one during the day helps get me through a six hour shift at my job in the evening. I always wondered how my super studious friends survived getting through midterms/finals and now I know the answer: naps!

It'd be pretty cool if we could only sleep for three hours a day instead of eight. But like you mentioned in your blog, that's not very realistic. I personally wouldn't be able to find time during the day to take six naps. I feel like that's probably the situation that most college students are also in. I wonder if you could do that same thing, only at night?

I really enjoyed the way that your quote from HelpGuide painted a picture of what is happening as we sleep. I also find the Uberman Cycle very interesting. One of the main concerns that I have with it is the fact that, many times, it takes me more than a half hour just to fall asleep. This happens even at night when I'm used to falling asleep. I wonder, if these cycles are proven to work, whether they will design a way for people to lay down and immediately fall asleep. Even if the cycles don't work, it would be nice if someone found a way to make this possible. I know that there are relaxation techniques that can help you, but it would be nice to have an immediate response.

You might also like information about the "DaVinci Cycle" which is very similar. Supposedly, DaVinci only slept 4 hours in 30 minute naps. It's hard to do, but some people swear by it.