Effects of divorce on children

broken-heart-logo-02.gif
Have you ever wondered how divorce effects the children in the family? Well I think this is an interesting topic because my parents got divorced when I was younger. I did some research online about possible effects that divorce can have and I found some of the findings pretty interesting. Some research shows that people that live in divorced families tend to be worse off, have more problems with peers, Here are 2 articles that I thought had good information about this topic in them
Article 1
Article 2
The first article talks more about how divorce effects different groups of children such as infants, elementary students, and teenagers. It also talks about the gender effects of divorce. I found this part very interesting. It says that boys raised by fathers and girls raised my mothers do better that children that are raised by the parent of the opposite sex. I assumed that it wouldn't really matter who which parent raised the children as long as they were good parents to the child.
The second article also had some interesting facts. I understand how children with divorced families tend to be worse off than children who still live in an "intact" family. Even though there is anecdotal evidence of children who turn out different than the average I still find this information interesting and feel there is more to be learned and discussed about this topic.

This is a very appealing topic to me as well because my parents divorced when I was 11. However, I am not so sure I agree with the idea that all children are negatively effected by divorce. I agree that in general this may be the case, but these articles fail to recognize the reason of divorce (i.e.: if the father/mother was abusive). Also the situation depends on how the divorcee is settled, like if the children switch from the mothers house to the fathers house every week or something. I just feel like there is more to the effects of divorce than these articles provide.

I just read a blog entry called "Divorce is a good thing" which opposes what you've written here. I must say I agree with your blog more because I witnessed my cousins and my friends had tough times when their parents were going through a divorce. Children must be affected by their parents' divorce because children were used to live with both their parents before the divorce. if things change all the sudden, it is certain that children would experience some difficulties accepting the differences. therefore, when couples go through a divorce, it is necessary to tell their kids what is happening to the family. then, kids would have a better understanding of the situation and would more likely to accept it.

Divorce definitely has an affect on children. I agree that the magnitude with which divorce affects children varies with age.
I also believe that there are times when divorce is good. A good example would be a situation where parents are always arguing. In such circumstance divorce relieves child from all the negativity and ultimately makes child's life better.

Give a little more information about what was in each article and whether you trust them or not. What do you think about the topic? Why?

I feel that even though divorce can be heart-breaking and hard to deal with, I don't necessarily feel that it always has negative effects on the children. I think when the parent's relationship is no longer healthy and happy, the best thing they can do for everyone involved is to divorce. The children should not be exposed to constant fighting nor should they have to look up to an unhealthy relationship as model for how marriage should be. Also, parents should not feel obligated to stay married when they are miserable. They best thing for the children to see is that their parents are happy, whether they are together or not.

This is a very interesting topic to me. I personally have been raised my both parents but I know that there are people around me and kids that are going through this very thing. Do you think that if parents are fighting in front of their kids that it is better if they get a divorce? Are there any situations in which a divorce could affect children in a positive way?

I also find this topic very interesting because my parents divorced when I was 10. I think sometimes divorce is better for the families because when children see their parents always fighting and unhappy, it has a negative effect on them. In my case, my parents divorced, yet still lived close to each other. Being able to see both parents regularly worked best for me and my 5 siblings.

I thought the part about whether the father raises the boy or the mother raises the girl was very interesting. I can relate to this fact because my best friend from high school was raised by his mother and it was not a good relationship between them. I think it is very true and accurate that kids who get raised by the same sex parent will be better off and have a better and more successful childhood than the people who are raised by a parent of the opposite sex.

I've always found it interesting that children with divorced parents are said to be worse off. However, I feel that this is a correlation and not a causation. More often than not parents who are getting divorced are fighting or having problems in some way, but parents who do not get divorced could also have these problems. Then you must also account for the parents who get a divorce because things aren't working and it is the right thing to do. There is also the issue of who's definition of what 'worse off' means.

I really liked your article, but wished you would have put more emphasis (if you were comfortable with it) on your specific experience to tie it into the research. Your article is very prevalent to today's society with so many parents getting divorces and it opened up my eyes to the effect it has on the children.

I think divorce tends to be difficult for any person involved, especially children. Children are sometimes caught in the middle and are put in tricky situations where they're forced to choose one parent over another. The whole relationship of the divorce depends on how the parents conduct themselves and how they handle the situation. Not every divorce will have a negative effect on children, it's all dependent on the parents.

I personally think that parents should not divorce in order raise their children finely. And it is true that my friends with divored parents usually are more likely trouble makers than friends with intact parents. Since the parenting takes account a huge portion for rasing children, parents should avoid divorce

I personally think that parents should not divorce in order raise their children finely. And it is true that my friends with divored parents usually are more likely trouble makers than friends with intact parents. Since the parenting takes account a huge portion for rasing children, parents should avoid divorce.