No, you did not tell me that!

Forgetting or recalling a memory is a prevalent part of everyday life. There are, however, many different types of these things. Source monitoring confusion, flashbulb memory, and false memories are three of the many.

Confusion can often be associated with any of the above three. Confusion looks like this.
Bush confused.jpg

Source monitoring confusion is forgetting the source of a memory. For example, Peyton told Eli a joke about the Giants beating the Colts. Three days later, Eli told Peyton. When Peyton stopped him to say the he was the one who told him that, Eli was convinced he heard it elsewhere.

A flashbulb memory is a distinct memory of what you were doing at an important time in history. For many in our generation, this is the 9/11 attacks. I remember that I was sitting in third grade. The principal came on the loud speaker and said there had been a terrorist attack in New York City. All I knew of New York City was that the Statue of Liberty was there.
statue of liberty.JPG

Beware of phantom flashbulbs, which are a false recollection of what was going on at the time.

False memories are those that are instilled in our minds. This is often associated with hypnosis.
hypnosis.jpg

An example of a false memory is that I was certain I had finished my blog; but I went to check and it was nowhere to be found. When I tried to remember what I had typed, I couldn't - false memory.

My parents always tell my sister and I stories of our childhood. After hearing the same stories being told, over and over again, my sister and I would retell these same stories as if we remembered them happening. Though most of these stories took place when we'd too young to remember, my sister and I were convinced that we did, in fact, remember them happening. This, I feel, is an example of false memories.

Good definition and explanation of the three psychology terms in chapter 7. I like the examples that you mention because they are easy for me to understand in real situation. According to the source monitoring source, I had a lot of those kind of mistakes when I talk with my friends. One of my friend definitely told me a funny joke, and then several days later, I told him the exact same joke.

I really like the title of your blog. It's catch my attention immediately when I saw it. And I liked the part in the end of your blog that you combine your personal experience with false memory concept. Actually I was in the same situation as your! I thought I had finished my biology paper yesterday but turned out that I still had two more pages to finish.

Excellent use of the flashbulb memory. I believe we can all recall (whether or not it is a reconstructive memory or not) where we were when we heard about the 9/11 attacks. I was in third grade as well and it heard about it in a similar fashion. Good description and visuals for all three terms.

Is false memory usually the result of hypnosis? Why are these concepts important to understand? What is the bigger picture? Links to more information would be useful.

I also felt that you did an excellent job with linking relate-able examples to the definitions. The 9//11 attacks certainly are etched into my memory and it would be interesting to see the youngest age with flashbulb memories from those attacks. I'm sure we will all experience many more of these throughout our lifetimes.

I think that you did a good job with your definitions and examples, however I would maybe leave the confusion associated with Bush out of there, that's just a little controversial for some people. Not necessarily myself but probably others. However, with that aside I think that your visuals were good and also, nice job relating your own life in the example of 9/11, where you were that day. So overall good work!

Whoa! That hypnosis picture made me dizzy! These are great definitions though! This also reminded me of tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon where you can remember a little bit of say a definition like a key word but can't remember the entire thing thus the expression "It's on the tip of my tongue." Maybe try putting in a link for more information next time though.

The chapter in the book about memory was very interesting to me! It's creepy to think that we can have memories that we can distinctly recall but in reality they never happened. Flashbulb memory is very interesting to me too. I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the 9/11 attacks...or at least I think I remember exactly.

I agree with some of the earlier comments. Source confusion is one of the memory problems I struggle with. I was told stories of me when I was little from my parents perspective so much I was convinced I could personally recall them, from the age of 8 months. I also this TOT phenomenon is very common place. My father has a problem with nouns and usually calls me "mother", "roxy", "liles" etc. before he gets to my name Claire. He calls it the noun disease. I do wonder if age plays a role in it though.

Memories was definitely one of the most interesting parts of this unit for me. There are a few stories that i distinctly remember being there, but everyone else assures me that I was definitely not there so somehow I developed several false memories along the way. Must be why reading this was so interesting for me.