Don't Go To Bed Angry

Many concepts from psychology stick out in my mind; however, the most significant one is relationships. Relationships are an important part of everyone's life. From Professor Jeff Simpson, we learned about attachment theory and that is not only plays a role in children, but also in adults.

Dr. Angela Hicks performed a study involving 39 participants to investigate the "link between romantic relationships and long term emotional and physical well-being." First, the individuals' attachment styles were assessed based on anxiousness and avoidance. Hicks documented the affects of conflict on sleep disturbance and mood. She conflict was assessed in bedtime journals and the mood was assessed in the morning.
Blog 4.jpg
It was found that the most anxious individuals lost the most amount of sleep. On the other hand, the individuals who exhibited the most emotional avoidance had the least sleep loss. Also, individuals who had trouble with emotional attachment had worse moods than those who were comfortable with attachment.

Dr. Hicks noted that it was already known that happy marriages are correlated with better health. Her research shows "that individuals who are in insecure relationships are more vulnerable to longer-term health risks from conflict than are others."
For more information about her study, here are two websites that describe it: ScienceDaily and PsychCentral.

This is a very interesting study! I believe many of us can relate to this study. I think most people (myself included), when angry, have trouble falling asleep. Why do you think this is so? Is it because we are so aroused that cannot fall asleep? Or because we keep thinking about the conflict?

So is the health aspect all driven by sleep disturbance?

Interesting topic to bring up. However, personally I think that it's pretty clear that when upset or unhappy that you won't be able to sleep compared to when everything in your life is going well and you don't have much to worry about. Overall though good post, you maybe could have just double checked for grammatical errors because I noticed a couple but needless to say good job!

This is very interesting and it makes sense that a happier marriage consists of less stress and therefore a healthier couple. This just goes to show how important it is to find a strong relationship that will be healthy for us and not jump into a relationship that will only cause anxiety and negatively affect other areas of our lives.

This study just proves the old saying "don't go to bed angry" to be true. That saying was something we'd all heard, but I personally never really thought about the scientific facts behind it (if there we any) and of course the impact that it could have on our lives! I though this blog was really interesting, and too found the relationships portion of psychology to be not only very interesting, but applicable to our everyday lives and future as well.

This is a very interesting topic. I have never thought about the impacts that my moods would have on the quality of sleep. It makes sense that being emotionally balanced and physically rested would work in tandem to have a healthy lifestyle.