Feeling Groggy?

From all of the topics I learned in Psychology this year, the topic I will remember five years from now is the sleep and the sleep cycles. In college sleep is one of the most important things for the body, and learning about it has helped me become much more understanding of the topic. After a night of eight or more hours of sleep, your body is able to perform and process information at much higher rates. Without the eight hours of required sleep needed, your judgment, mood, and your ability to learn is hurt. I have personal experience with this through the first year of college coming to a close. If I do not get the certain amount of sleep, my work ethic is nothing near what it is if I get an adequate amount of sleep. I will always remember to get the correct amount of REM sleep so I can be productive the following day. Overall, it is important for everyone to keep in mind the correct amount of sleep needed for them to be productive and successful. If you would like to learn more about the sleep cycles and why sleep is so essential to us click here.homer-sleeping.jpg

This is a great blog! I love the picture. The cycles of sleep are truly an interesting topic. In our college society sleep is a vital part of all of our lives. Do you feel that more studies should be done on sleep cycles? Or have we maxed out our information?

Its true sleep cycles often times get neglected in college because of all of the things going on. Class, work, and much more gets in the way of much needed sleep. Of particular importance to sleeping, REM sleep is a supreme reason to go to bed earlier. REM sleep contains the stage of dreams and who doesn't love to dream? So classmates, during finals week, get some sleep! We all need it.

I absolutely agree with the importance of sleep. Coming from someone who has pulled many all-nighters before tests I've realized that's not the best way for going about achieving success. When your able to prepare in advance and get an adamant amount of sleep you feel a lot more confident and are much less likely to zone out and have an anxiety attack during the test.

I agree that sleep is extremely important in college. It is not worth it to stay up late doing homework if you do not get enough sleep because is will have a negative impact on your ability to get work done the next day. In my experiences, it is better to get a good amount of sleep and be able to work the next day without needing naps than to try to stay up late to get the work done.

Unlike most people, I have actually gotten more sleep in college than in high school. But I completely agree with how getting less sleep can pretty much make you a different person. In high school I would stay up late and have to wake up early for class so I would get less than 6 hours of sleep a night. It really changed my mood and attention abilities and I felt like I was a different person each day. Now in college, I get about 9 hours of sleep a night and each day feels the same to me and I rarely get tired.

The chapter on sleep cycles was one of the most interesting sections of this course. Learning about the changes in brain waves and pulse as the body goes through the different stages is very interesting. I've also learned that consistently getting 4-6 hours of sleep every night is not enough to have your body function efficiently, I lost more time falling asleep doing homework assignments and studying when I was trying to stay awake, than if I had just stopped and had a good night sleep.

Good choice for your blog, I get the feeling that the majority of college students are sleep deprived. I have found through trial and error that it benefits me more to get that proverbial extra hour of sleep than it does to get one last hour of studying done. I believe that this may be true for others too, it would be interesting to conduct a poll about this question.

Do you feel everyone needs the same amount of sleep?

Good choice for the blog, especially because of college sleeping habits! I have spent several nights working on projects when I really need sleep. After spending all night awake, I can see how getting enough sleep every night is crucial to performance.

I definitely agree with you and notice the same effects when I'm sleep deprived. Especially going into my last few finals, I am trying to manage my sleep while getting all my studying done. I think the most important skill we all get out of college is time management which will be useful to us for the rest of our lives.