I challenge you to a duel.....

Having lived in the South in the past, I found the concept of "culture of honor" very interesting. Within the article by Cohen et al., (1996) not only does "culture of honor" shape the individual reaction, but affects the policies and laws of the region in the form of gun control, and self defense. In the movies, one sees the Southern gentlemen standing back to back, walking ten paces, and then shooting. Is this a relic of the past?
The research had different experiments under the umbrella of the study, and not all of the experiments showed statistical significance in the findings. They also stated a limitation of the research is that the research took place on a Northern college campus (Michigan) and all participants were from higher income bracket families. The Southern students had chosen to go to a Northern school. A confounding variable could be that these males did not adhere to the Southern perspective of having to be aggressive to protect one's honor, and were open to living in the North. It would be interesting to conduct the experiment in a Southern town setting, and possibly within the general population to test the reliability of the findings.
I personally did not experience co-workers coming to blows for bumping into one another in the hallway, but I also lived in a metro area that had a large mixture of Northerners. Possibly if I had lived in a rural area with a higher concentration of Southern men, we would have had a few good break time duels.

duel-1.jpg

I think that you have an interesting perspective on different cultural values within the United States. I knew that there were differences but I think that you really point out one of the key differences, which is the "culture of honor." The southerners that I know, do seem to have a greater pride in their family and its heritage and I believe that this could be a cultural value that is not as heavily emphasized in the north. Overall, you had a very interesting article!

You, having lived in the south, provided us "northerners" with a perspective we're not used to having. It seems crazy that there are such drastic changes in culture from one state to the next. However, I feel that if a European were to come here and see these differences, then they would see no problem with them. Maybe the fact that we see these differences as so rare relates back to the fact that our country is so spread out.

Tell us a little more about the findings of the experiments specifically. How would the limitations of the study change the results?

I'm really glad you wrote about cultural differences, particularly within the borders of our own country. Many people, especially Minnesotan's, have a warped vision of differences in culture, along the lines that cultural differences in today's society are minimal at best. But as you said, cultural variations are a live and kicking in this country, and it's a great thing that you are educating fellow Northerners on such differences!

I always love learning about different ways that cultures differ. When there are differences, within our country especially, I always strive to hear about how these different customs come about. If this experiment you proposed came to fruition, I would be interested in how the backgrounds, other than the person being from the south, differ. We could then follow these people's heritage to see where in the world this dueling profile came from.

Interesting article, maybe it's just me but I had never really heard about major cultural differences existing in different regions before this course. I wonder why the concept of "culture of honor" isn't evident in the north. Was it abandoned when people moved north or is there a specific reason?