If You Want to Hang With Us, Smoke This.

A reocurring theme in psychology is how much situation influences our behavior. Everyone is different and certain situational elements cause different results in each individual. One very popular situational dilemma that faces us all at one point or another is the need to belong. People do not want to be outcasted for being different. There is a deep inner desire to blend in and be accepted by one's peers. Most of us have all faced problems that have forced us to go against our beliefs if we wanted to fit in with the crowd, at some point in our lives. tumblr_lq7iznGa2I1qj7icuo1_500.jpg
Getting a sense of self satisfaction by belonging isn't a bad thing, and is instinctive to us. We all long to have that feeling of importance. However, being persuaded by others to violate your internal code of ethics is often unavoidable in certain circumstances if you wish to carry on living in the same fashion that you have grown accustomed to. The root of this dilemma stems from becoming involved with certain social groups that get you into such situations. Choose your friends and people you associate with wisely. Stay unique. Belonging and conforming do not have to go hand in hand.

I think this is a brilliant topic to blog about. It is extremely important for youth to know that "belonging and conforming do not have to go hand in hand" because many children, at an early age, are exposed to the idea that they need to be popular.

Peer pressure among young adults has been a reoccurring dilemma for a long time in regards to smoking, drinking, and other harmful behaviors. Many teens find they would never partake in these actions unless they were pressured by another person in order to be "cool". Situations definitely are a big factor in how a person acts, not just in harmful instances, but at other times as well.

Peer pressure has been an issue talked and debated about for centuries. I agree with you that the need to belong or be accepted by someone or a group is instinctive and if a part of that is going against something that you believe in we'll still do it. It's so easy for people to say no yet they won't. Not only could it be self-harming but it could get them into sticky situations if caught. Good advice at the end.

I really liked the last sentence of your blog: "belonging and conforming do not have to go hand in hand." It's true that often times in order to feel as though we belong, we give into peer pressure and follow the crowd instead of following our beliefs. Belonging to groups that will allow you to express your beliefs, regardless of whether they are different from the rest of the group or not, is important.

This is a great blog. Though I felt you were preaching by the end of it, I still feel that you have some great insight on conforming. However, in conforming inevitable? Is it part of our genetic makeup to do so, and we can simply not resist? It's something that may never be answered, but needless to say, is a interesting question.

I think this brings awareness to a truly prevalent issue in today's world, especially in teens. Teens are constantly being bombarded by their "friends" with encouragements to partake in possibly illegal and dangerous activities. Like you said, it can feel almost impossible to resist these temptations because humans have a natural desire to fit in and be liked by others. Although it can be extremely difficult, you have to stand up for what you believe in and not be afraid to go against the flow sometimes.

Do you think that people choose their groups randomly? Or is it based off of their personality and interests? Can someone really fall into the wrong crowd or do they select the wrong crowd because they already share interests such as risk taking or defiance? What support do you have for your view? Links to further readings would be helpful.

I believe that personality is key to challenge of peer pressure and social conformity. As a child, I was very shy and introverted and had good relationships with my parents. I neither had the desire to rebel nor the personality to match it. Our textbook gave research results indicated that some aspects of personality are genetically based, and taking risks has also been linked to genetic inheritence. Certainly the desire to conform to peer pressure as an adolescent has to do with one's group of friends, but maybe some aspects of this scenario are related to genetics as opposed to environment like personality traits.

Good job on this blog post. It is interesting to look at the topic of conformity in this context. This type of situation is when the psychological tendency to feel the need to conform may be dangerous, but not always inevitable. It is definitely true that belonging and conforming do not have to go hand in hand.

Interesting topic, I think that personality plays a big role in how far people go to blend in with others. While I agree that humans are social animals, I wonder how big of an influence the media plays in one's desire to be a part of groups.